Returning to YouTube... ?

OliverAge24

Hellooo,

So about 4 years ago, I started a channel that really took off and was going well for a couple of years. At some point, I realised I wasn't making enough money to really consider doing it full time, and it seemed like an impossible challenge... so I started a full-time, kinda demanding job.

I've been at the full-time job for just over 3 years now, and since I started, I've been uploading to my youtube channel less and less. It's now gotten to the point where I haven't uploaded since July 2016...

I'd really like to get back into it and try to start from where I left off, but I'm actually kind of nervous about how people will react and if people will still enjoy my content. I've got this impending feeling that they'll all unsub and think my videos are boring now lol.

Has anybody had any experience with resurrecting a channel that they kind of abandoned a long time ago?

I've thought about starting over, but, my channel is at 149k subscribers, so it feels like it would be really dumb to start uploading on a new channel instead?

Thanks for any advise!
Oliver :)

Hello. NO new channel. Never mind you stoped uploading, the most important is that you are back :) . You have big channel and many people belive in your work, so why would you not belive. Glad you are back and I wish you nothing but the best. I started a month ago and trust me you are already on the wave, just use it as best as you can :) . Best regards

Many people will be happy to have you back bro, no worries. Make god videos then people will still enjoy it as much today as they did before.[DOUBLEPOST=1487935365,1487935329][/DOUBLEPOST]Update: BROOO, how the omg, you have 149k subs, lucky you!

Your going to see a drop for a bit, verry little views and the sub count will go down but after about 3 months youll stabilise and start to grow again

Definitely stick with the channel you have, 149K subscribers is amazing! I can't imagine people would unsubscribe, they'll probably just be glad you're uploading again!

I took a look at some of your videos just now and they're really good! You'll be fine :)

Welcome back to YouTube! I think it's definitely smart to start with the base of subscribers you already have. It'll be interesting to see how your journey goes.

Hey Oliver,
I do think you should stick to your own channel. You have your old pieces of art and music on that channel and I don't think it should be abandoned at all. Perhaps you should make a video to explain what has happened for the last seven months and say that you want to get back into making videos! You could also ask for suggestions for what your subscribers want to see and start from there, make a schedule that is suitable for you to upload but not too long of gaps between upload days.

For example I only upload once a week and that's because I am busy during my college work. Maybe a video a week may do you some good and start back up easy. :)

I've moved this to the Strategy and Technique advice forum. :)

I can't post from the perspective of a YouTuber who has come back after a while, but as a viewer, I've always been excited when someone I've subscribed to posts something new after they haven't posted in a while. It's always been, "OMG! so-an-so posted something! w00t! : D" I literally think they could post anything and I'd be excited -- whether they make an explanation video or post regular content wouldn't really matter.

if you want to start making videos again, then I'd make a video. As long as it's not something overly offensive or controversial, I don't think everyone is going to immediately leave. A lot of people will probably be happy. ^^

A quick look at SocialBlade indicates you're only getting about 2k views per day, down from about 25k per day in 2014. You're also losing an average of 7 subs per day.

Definitely don't start a new channel though. 2k views per day from organic traffic isn't bad and it could offer you enough leverage to kickstart it again. Aim for weekly videos for at least 6 months and I'm sure you'll gain some traction again.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

I followed your advice, bit the bullet, and uploaded a 'I'm back!' video.

It's gone better than I expected - good views/likes/comments for my channel.

The only depressing thing... it's the downside to collabs that people don't really talk about...

So, If you do lots of collabs and have a lot of channel growth (I basically built my whole channel on it), you end up with a lot of 'uninvested' subscribers, that kindof just subscribed on a whim due to the collab. This sounds like a good thing, but now, each time I upload a new video, I lose a bunch of those subscribers, which always looks super bad on Socialblade and always makes me question my content and channel...

Does YouTube see subscriber loss negatively against your channel and punish you for it with the algorithm? Will it balance out at some stage?

Back