Recording Tips for singers(musicians)

Ashish

I Love YTtalk
I am not advertising , I am just sharing how can singers give their vocals the perfect professional feel

1) If you already have not switched to a good microphone then do it now because when we talk about recording it all lands on the fact of what quality mic you are using

There are two types dynamic and condenser mic and the rest of them should never be used for recording.
Well for recording without a doubt opt for a condenser mic(They are a little costly so if you are low on budget go for a dynamic one http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/recording/10-best-affordable-microphones-for-the-home-studio/)

2)Now that you have a condenser/dynamic mic and still you feel that you are lacking the professional punch in your songs?Well you should try some of these tools

a)http://www.antarestech.com/products/ *you can use autotune not just for getting the right pitch(Which I think you don't require if you have a good singing ability) but also for getting professional quality

b)Use either Cubase,Logic,Fl Studio,Abeleton Live or Pro tools etc. for recording. They all are pretty great and amazing.

c)Use reverbs and echos but not too much otherwise it will ruin

d) While I was learning Fl Studio I found something exceptionally amazing : VOCAL BLUR
well that means for the first intro of the song you can use this to blur start your song which is 1000 times better than using fade in since that seems very professional

e)Use Vocodex or any vocoder for getting robotic feel or alien like effect or simple distortion or even mechanical sounds. It is awesome if used in rap songs.

3)To add Texture(Remember it is a very big thing) to your sounds you should do a two take almost-identical recording and use the twin effect(that is using both the recorded takes) and also do different takes and record other parts which adds variance and more texture like backing vocals
etc.This will make the song go thumping all the way

4)Instrumental must be rightly mixed and temp should be proper and the vocals must be perfectly in sync with the instrumental(MUST be!!!!!)

5)Do not over do textures otherwise it will ruin everything and do not ever let these textures overtake your original song.

Hope this helped you!Most of this you already knew I guess but still:)
For any further questions just feel free to ask:)
And if you want me to make threads on other music related topics just prompt me on my profile page:) I will be happy to answer all of them.They can be any question related to making music,singing etc.

wow cool never thought of all this I just got a cd Karoke machine I'm thinking about using it for my YouTube videos it would make singing without music sound awesome it reminds me of my X factor auditions it was just me and the microphone :)

Another good tip is (specifically when recording instruments as well): Pan!

Pan different instruments left and right to varying degrees to "widen" the soundscape. With everything centred, the track can feel very "boxed in". Though, keep your vocals centred unless you're going for a specific feel or effect.

A good way of doing this is by thinking, 'how is a band laid out on stage?' and panning to virtualise that effect.

I also echo Ashish's sentiments. Anyone want to ask questions about the recording process, let me know :).

Another good tip is (specifically when recording instruments as well): Pan!

Pan different instruments left and right to varying degrees to "widen" the soundscape. With everything centred, the track can feel very "boxed in". Though, keep your vocals centred unless you're going for a specific feel or effect.

A good way of doing this is by thinking, 'how is a band laid out on stage?' and panning to virtualise that effect.

I also echo Ashish's sentiments. Anyone want to ask questions about the recording process, let me know :).

Pan....amazing idea
Panning is very necessary for creating rich instrumentals but that would be my(producer's) part and not the singers ;)

Also for a professional sounding recording for drums you can't just point 1 mic at a drum set, you need one mic for each drum. This way you can pan each drum from left to right accordingly with the base drum centered :) Although I understand that this probably isn't within most people's budgets :p

Also for a professional sounding recording for drums you can't just point 1 mic at a drum set, you need one mic for each drum. This way you can pan each drum from left to right accordingly with the base drum centered :) Although I understand that this probably isn't within most people's budgets :p
I highly recommend never to pan drums
Drums are the core of music and the hearbeat of a song
Professionals never pan drums except a few accessories of drums like a "ride"
Drums are never ever to be panned otherwise stereo balance of the song bends and creates a weird stereo effect which ruins the song

But great thinking:)'

and it is always in budget because with DAW all such things become pretty easy!

Also, with recording drums, that's where mic choice and recording technique can get complicated.

Cardioid?
Directional?
Dynamic?
SM57 or Piezo?
Or drum-specific mics like the packs from Rhode and AKG?
Do you want to have the room live in the mix or have a dead room?

Yeah haha.

Recording true-to-life piano can be "fun", too… But this is getting waaay too technical lol.

Also, with recording drums, that's where mic choice and recording technique can get complicated.

Cardioid?
Directional?
Dynamic?
SM57 or Piezo?

Yeah haha.

Recording true-to-life piano can be "fun", too… But this is getting waaay too technical lol.
Definitely Too much for those who are not familiar to Audio Workstations and its working...;)

Cardioid?
Directional?
Dynamic?
SM57 or Piezo?

Yeah haha.

I seem to recall reading that an orchestra uses a single powerful mic set up in the right spot. Is that complete nonsense? lol

Back