Quick question - Hi-res thumbnails (Optimisation)

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Hi All! :)

Just a quick question; Im currently in the process of optimising all of my videos as much as possible in terms SEO and ranking within youtube. I was just wondering whether having a Hi resolution thumbnail on your upload effected SEO or ranking in any way. I only ask because I recently found out that my earliest uploads (My first 10 to 12 videos) while uploaded as 1920x1080 actually had a rediculously low DPI meaning they're terrible resolution and not classed by youtube as "Hi-res"

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Not sure about the SEO impact, but folks searching for something that are presents with search results, a blurry or pixelated thumbnail might equate to a poor quality or older video in their minds, and might affect your click-through rate. Especially on higher resolution or “retina” displays or big screen televisions. You can re-upload thumbnails on older videos, so that might be an option for you. Would be an interesting case study if you were to record your analytics both before and after the thumbnail change and report back on the results. ;-)

DPI doesn't matter for the digital world. If you're making your thumbnails 1920x1080 pixels that is as high of resolution as YouTube will take.

DPI is a communication to the printer how many dots (or pixels) to print per inch.

DPI doesn't matter for the digital world. If you're making your thumbnails 1920x1080 pixels that is as high of resolution as YouTube will take.

DPI is a communication to the printer how many dots (or pixels) to print per inch.

Thanks for clarifying :) Im a bit confused then xD tube buddy and youtube are both saying that my first dozen thumbnails are very low resolution all I did to fix that though was alter the Image size settings and changed the DPI from 300 to 1200 and now its saying they're fine. I guess its just youtube goofing xD would still be interested to know if it effects SEO mind...

Thanks for clarifying :) Im a bit confused then xD tube buddy and youtube are both saying that my first dozen thumbnails are very low resolution all I did to fix that though was alter the Image size settings and changed the DPI from 300 to 1200 and now its saying they're fine. I guess its just youtube goofing xD would still be interested to know if it effects SEO mind...

I ought to do a YouTube thumbnail tutorial. It may be because you resampled the image when you changed that, and it actually changed the pixel dimensions. There's lots of little things that it could be or could have happened.

But 300dpi is the highest quality PRINT resolution, let alone digital work. And that's only when you're referring to other dimensions like inches.

When you're setting a document to a certain pixel amount, DPI doesn't matter. Next time, create a 1920x1080px image at 1 DPI. Save it and create another 1920x1080px image at 1000 DPI. There is NO difference in file size between those to JPGs. The only difference you'll find is when you print it, the 1 DPI version will literally print 1 pixel per inch in real life. The 1000 DPI version will print 1000 pixels per inch.

Back