It's simple: There's more views than ads.
Ads are purchased.

there are 3 players:

1- Advertiser who pays the ads money
2- YouTube which take 45 %
3- content creator who take 55 %

i know that the computation is more complex than that, but the ads are being purchased by whom ?! the advertisers pays the money for advertising on our content but the ads are not purchased !!!

It's simple: There's more views than ads.
Ads are purchased. Unless there's more ad placements purchased than total views, not all views will be monetized.

let us call them "impressions" because some ads equal 1 impression and some other ads equal 4 impressions. it depends on the types of ads. To be more precise, now the question is:
why the total number of impressions is less than the total number of views.

there's also adblock to consider.

yes i know that
but ad-blocking is a function of internet browsers in our computers. However, generating ads is a function of YouTube servers ? I am not a a software programmer or a network expert but this is the way i understand it anyway.

Last edited:
I honestly feel like you're trying to make this far more complicated than it actually is...

I already told you; there are less impressions than views because there are not enough ad slots purchased through AdSense to make every view a monetized view. If you wanna go purchase several billion ads for YT to display, perhaps you'll even it out for a little while.

This is also why seasonality plays a huge role in earning amounts, because different times of the year have differing amount of ad space purchased and different rates of competition between bidding on ad slots.

It's simple supply and demand.

Do you watch TV ?
Why are there loads of ads during the Superbowl? Because there's huge demand from advertisers to market their products.
Why are there practically no ads on a repeat showing of a 1970s sitcom at 4am on a weekday in January? Because there's very little demand from advertisers to market their products at that time to an audience who is awake at 4am watching that show.

Same principle everywhere that ad space is being sold : press, billboards, websites, radio, YouTube.

[DOUBLEPOST=1458136937,1458136479][/DOUBLEPOST]
now the question is:
why the total number of impressions is less than the total number of views.

When you go into a shop, why don't you buy all of their stock?

Last edited:
Just because you upload a video doesn't mean that an advertiser wants to be presented with your content. Furthermore, YouTube will only present certain ads once every 7 minutes. If a consumer watched your video for a minute, then jumped to another video, YouTube is not going to present an ad on the second video because it's only been one minute since the last one.

I honestly feel like you're trying to make this far more complicated than it actually is...

i am not making anything complicated. Those impressions information are provided in adsense in details. i was only reading the TOS and then i came upon this question and thinking.

I already told you; there are less impressions than views because there are not enough ad slots purchased through AdSense to make every view a monetized view. If you wanna go purchase several billion ads for YT to display, perhaps you'll even it out for a little while.

Now i got your point. Thank you very much.[DOUBLEPOST=1458144740,1458143448][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's simple supply and demand.

[DOUBLEPOST=1458136937,1458136479][/DOUBLEPOST]

When you go into a shop, why don't you buy all of their stock?

definitely, i will not buy all .... that is in real shops and not in online shopping.

impression means a number giving to at least one ads unit (slot) which to be displayed.
i understood that there are two types of advertisers. Some type of advertisers pay cost of ads per ad-click ONLY which is called ad-CPC. Another advertisers pay cost of ads per 1000 impressions which is called CPM. Your example can be applied for the first type of advertisers only. Impressions are limited if the second type of advertising is to be applied. However, in the first type of advertisers, YouTube have the chance to display the ads slots in all our views without purchasing any thing. Again, the answer is it depends on ads-season and availability of the first type of advertisers. i got now.

Last edited:
Back