Please review - Milestone video with my voice

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Hey guys, first time asking for a review, but this is a video that was right outside of my comfort zone, and I'd like a little feedback.

I usually post animated content, and only briefly used my voice for the end of my collab video to encourage people to check the other collaborators entries. so nothing more than 20 seconds.

This is a 9:30 video with just me talking, and no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't improve my voice, I had to be natural or it sounded incredibly fake, and after tweaking this video for over a week, I decided to post because I've already taken way too much time out of animating to make it, and its a milestone video - it needs to be up around the time of the milestone lol

Watching this back, I feel like I sound 101% awkward, and i have a very boring, and dull toned voice with a pretty irritating accent, I understand not many people like their own voices, but i really just feel like through and through this is just a bad video.

If you watch this for me, would you guys let me know if you felt it was a bad video, was the audio levels ok? is my voice dull and monotonous, etc. I want to know if it's really bad, or if it's ok and it's just my own paranoia? Any tips on improvements (even though the next milestone is a LONG way off) would be much appreciated :D

Thanks in advance :)

Video:

*I know a couple of you guys have already commented on the video that follow me, so this is addressed to everyone else, unless you want to give a critical opinion of it.*

I've seen many videos where the voice-over was dull and monotonous. This wasn't one of them. Don't try and improve your voice! It was easy to understand, clear and each answer was well thought out and well expressed. (I love your accent though so i'm a little biased). If you try and alter your voice too much you will find that in the future; should you do another one of these videos, it will be very hard to replicate it again. Take your own advice and don't try and redraw every image to get it perfect. When you record just express yourself the way you want to, sort out the audio levels and boom, job done.

People sent in their questions because they care about what you have to say, not how you sound when you say it. As long as they get the content they need from the video in an understandable package (which they would have) then all is well. I prefer listening to a natural sounding voice especially in a video like that. We got to briefly meet the person behind all the other videos in a natural and unedited way. It sort of adds a level of connection. You didn't sound 101% awkward, maybe just 10.1% which considering this was the first time you've really spoken at length on a video is really impressive.

So the negatives... there really isn't anything major. You did seem a little nervous but that's to be expected and will go away with practice. Also the volume of the music may have been a fraction too high. At one point I had to back track the video because I was huming away to the music and what you were saying just flew on by.

If I was going to rate it as good or bad I wouldn't hesitate to say good. I dont really like rating with numbers but maybe an 8/10 for content, a 10/10 for visuals and at least a 7.5 probably even 8/10 for audio. That's a total of 26/10 which considering it was something you've never really done before is pretty decent :)

Don't let a lack of confidence stop you from doing more of these in the future, it would be a real shame.

I've seen many videos where the voice-over was dull and monotonous. This wasn't one of them. Don't try and improve your voice! It was easy to understand, clear and each answer was well thought out and well expressed. (I love your accent though so i'm a little biased). If you try and alter your voice too much you will find that in the future; should you do another one of these videos, it will be very hard to replicate it again. Take your own advice and don't try and redraw every image to get it perfect. When you record just express yourself the way you want to, sort out the audio levels and boom, job done.

People sent in their questions because they care about what you have to say, not how you sound when you say it. As long as they get the content they need from the video in an understandable package (which they would have) then all is well. I prefer listening to a natural sounding voice especially in a video like that. We got to briefly meet the person behind all the other videos in a natural and unedited way. It sort of adds a level of connection. You didn't sound 101% awkward, maybe just 10.1% which considering this was the first time you've really spoken at length on a video is really impressive.

So the negatives... there really isn't anything major. You did seem a little nervous but that's to be expected and will go away with practice. Also the volume of the music may have been a fraction too high. At one point I had to back track the video because I was huming away to the music and what you were saying just flew on by.

If I was going to rate it as good or bad I wouldn't hesitate to say good. I dont really like rating with numbers but maybe an 8/10 for content, a 10/10 for visuals and at least a 7.5 probably even 8/10 for audio. That's a total of 26/10 which considering it was something you've never really done before is pretty decent :)

Don't let a lack of confidence stop you from doing more of these in the future, it would be a real shame.

wow, thank you so much for this well thought out response !! I've always found audio work to be the hardest part of youtube, and I'm still working on getting the levels better with every video. I was pretty nervous, and I'm glad it didn't distract too much from the video.
I will make videos like this in future, but FAR future, as I want the content to keep to animation as much as I can :)

thanks again for the response!!

Lightsen Your voice is better than mine!
Your voice sounds real, humble and instantly likeable! I subscribed!

haha you think so? well thank you very much, I always thought I had a really monotonous voice, which is sad cause I wanted to do voice acting :p

Back