Opinion on gameplay only videos or showcases

Tin Salaj

Liking YTtalk
So the question is what do you think in this types of videos is most important for you?
Since no commentary the video must relly on gameplay and things like that.
Do you think quality matters in this specific videos or being good at the game?

I welcome any opinion on the topic ahead,and i cant wait to hear your take on it.

Thanks for reading.

It depends I guess. Sometimes if I just want to see how to beat a certain boss, I kinda just want to see how it's done and not hear a random dude screaming or talking about nonsense.

I am doing gameplay videos for many years now with mixed success. If people want to be entertained, they watch with commentary. If they want to see the game, they don't care about the commentary. Some of my videos are getting views, while others stay with almost zero views, but I don't play popular games and I don't play them for the views, so it is okay.

In my limited experience, I have put up gameplay footage with no commentary, and it was not all that well received. The videos I do the commentary, it definitely garners more authority and interaction with your viewers... plus it can bring a personalty to your channel.

i think no commentary gameplay is criminally underrated around here

it brings a lot to the table that a commentated walkthrough doesnt have - how you embody the character, how you play and react to the situations, are all a part of enhancing viewer immersion

this is a point ive seen completely neglected by a lot of users on this forum for some reason, but maybe thats the general impression

as for your question OP, i think there are two categories no commentary gameplay falls into:

1. a persons skill. speedrunning, maybe knowledge about the game for collectables or certain achievements, etc.

2. gameplay that is high quality with a style that embodies the character youre playing to enhance the viewers immersion. in this case, the choice of games on the channel can matter a lot too

its hard to get immersed into online gameplay like BF, compared to a game with an awesome story and cool visuals, like far cry 5

There are a few things you can do without commentary depending on the types of games you are playing. Being good at the game is going to be important most of the time or at least decent depending on the game again. A single player campaign type game or story walkthrough you are going to want to have smooth playthroughs without hitting any progression walls etc. But then in that case you can still edit if needed.

Then there are competitive online games where it is even more important to be ''good'' because people from that community take the competition from in game, straight to the like/dislike bar lol. If you are into pvp or competitive without commentary you also could make shorter video clips or montages with music as opposed to full long sessions so you can just get the good stuff.

Back