Non Monetized Videos with Popular Music

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
So I recently turned off monetization on my channel because lately I was making just pocket change. Does this mean I pretty much have the ability to use any music in my videos now? On my other channel I have a skydiving video that has Eminem, Metallica, and Lynard Skynard songs in it. That video never got taken down but they did do the 3rd party content thing to it I believe but never got taken down, it just can't be monetized. Does this apply to all music or just certain songs? I won't be losing any money if my channel got taken down but I want all of my videos to still be online so I don't want to jeopardize my channel with Copyright strikes

You can use whatever music you want, but cannot monetize it. Well you can, but you won't get any money, because all the money goes to the artist. If you wanna make money, you have to use copyright free music, or buy music with a license which you can then use.
Artists such as Green day, Katy Perry, Linkin Park, whatever music is playing on radio cannot be used/can be used but without any profit. If you use such a music you should not recieve any copyright strike, Youtube will just send you an email saying that you are using this and this music, if you are aware of that, and that you are not going to make any money off of it.

You can use whatever music you want, but cannot monetize it. Well you can, but you won't get any money, because all the money goes to the artist. If you wanna make money, you have to use copyright free music, or buy music with a license which you can then use.
Artists such as Green day, Katy Perry, Linkin Park, whatever music is playing on radio cannot be used/can be used but without any profit. If you use such a music you should not recieve any copyright strike, Youtube will just send you an email saying that you are using this and this music, if you are aware of that, and that you are not going to make any money off of it.
Well I turned off monetization on my videos so that should make me able to use any music I guess...

Okay, this is wrong but it's a common assumption. Here's what my non-expert, non-legal interpretation of current law based off the ridiculous amount of research I've done on this in the past.

A lot of people assume that you can use whatever music but can't monetize it, but no. You technically are NOT allowed to use any copyrighted music without the permission of the original artist. With Content ID a lot of places will choose to take the revenue instead of just take the video down outright, but if the artist wanted they would still entirely be within their legal rights if they decided they want to slam you with a copyright strike and take down the video.

Now some artists give people permission to use their songs on YouTube, however I do not know which artists allow it and which ones don't. You'd have to try and figure it out on your own.

My advice, just avoid using copyrighted stuff whenever possible.

As background music? Not as a 10 second meme or a review? Not a chance it'll be Fair Use, but it's incredibly unlikely you'll get a strike or take down instead of a claim. That's the stupidest thing a record company could do- turn down free money. But by all means, feel free to experiment with different music, though I'd do some research before using certain songs. If there are re uploads and lyric videos, you're probably fine, based purely on example.

But honestly, for an artist to copyright strike and take down a video for using their music (without reason) is just utterly disgusting. A good measurement of Fair Use is 'Does this work take away profit from the original work?' A YouTube video wouldn't do that, because they just get automatically claimed and YouTube has an algorithm that searches for copyright work. I'd feel flattered as a musical artist if someone liked my work enough to make it play a role in their video. To each their own, I suppose.

Back