New Type of Video! [Video Review]

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Hey y'al! I made a new type of video and I would love your opinion on it! I'm really proud of it but I'm totally down for criticism and to see what outsiders think on it!

Hey Brett! I’m studying film and animation in college right now, so hopefully I’ll be able to give some good feedback. I understand it was more of a spin off your vlog (which is still cool and a very interesting take), but I’m going to give feedback as if it were a short film anyway.
First of all, I really enjoyed the sort of Blair Witch Project footage and I appreciated that your camera wasn’t super jittery nor smooth. It gave it believability, but it also wasn’t off putting like a camera just being thrown around in every direction all the time.
I guess the only issue I have with this is that it didn’t really have much meat to it. Like there was no climax to what was happening. You had a bunch of this build up where the character was explaining how lost they were but it still ended with them being lost. Maybe giving more emphasis to certain scenes such as reaching the road or the berries and cutting out small portions of all the scenes where they say they’re lost over and over. Of course, I haven’t seen any of your other videos, so this could all be a series that explains further in other videos.
In terms of creating an atmosphere, you did a pretty good job. The glitch edit was a nice touch and gave a good reminder that this was some sort of found footage and something is amiss. Maybe you could have also added some sort of way to show that a lot time has passed (camera time stamp at the bottom or through lighting).
Needless to say, you made a really cool video. Definitely don’t stop being creative like this with your work.

Hey Brett! I’m studying film and animation in college right now, so hopefully I’ll be able to give some good feedback. I understand it was more of a spin off your vlog (which is still cool and a very interesting take), but I’m going to give feedback as if it were a short film anyway.
First of all, I really enjoyed the sort of Blair Witch Project footage and I appreciated that your camera wasn’t super jittery nor smooth. It gave it believability, but it also wasn’t off putting like a camera just being thrown around in every direction all the time.
I guess the only issue I have with this is that it didn’t really have much meat to it. Like there was no climax to what was happening. You had a bunch of this build up where the character was explaining how lost they were but it still ended with them being lost. Maybe giving more emphasis to certain scenes such as reaching the road or the berries and cutting out small portions of all the scenes where they say they’re lost over and over. Of course, I haven’t seen any of your other videos, so this could all be a series that explains further in other videos.
In terms of creating an atmosphere, you did a pretty good job. The glitch edit was a nice touch and gave a good reminder that this was some sort of found footage and something is amiss. Maybe you could have also added some sort of way to show that a lot time has passed (camera time stamp at the bottom or through lighting).
Needless to say, you made a really cool video. Definitely don’t stop being creative like this with your work.

Thank you so much! This is fantastic feedback thank you do much! This was supposed to be a vlog, like you stated, but my apartment ended up getting lost on this hike so midway through shooting the vlog I decided to turn it into this horror sort of thing. But definitely if I’m going to do something like this again I’ll work on polishing it up more. That’s a good idea with the time stamp I never would have thought of that but that would have made it a little more intense I feel. Thank you for this all!

Back