My 300,000+ subs channel is dying.. any ideas?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
YouTube currently rewards channels who upload frequently. It stinks for channels that need to take a lot of time to make content. I'd guess a good thing to do would be to write an "I'm alive!" note of sorts in the community tab to test the waters, then upload the video, but then try to think of ways to make content faster. Perhaps you could make shorter animation videos? :/ (That's usually not what creators want to hear, though...) But the content doesn't have to be videos anymore -- you can also take advantage of the community tab. ^_^ I've seen some animators post gifs and little sneak peeks of stuff they are working on in their community tab. :)

Reactions: videoeditgr

moshi

Reaction score
Not really. My advice was to start uploading. From your OP - "I haven't uploaded anything in months."

YouTube views are a zero sum game. When someone's video gets a big decrease in daily views, it's because someone else's video has taken its place and that other channel is now getting more daily views. Usually someone who is uploading regularly. YouTube itself is getting the same number of daily views. Nothing is broken. There is no bug. I suppose you didn't complain that Youtube was broken when your channel got a sudden increase in views right?

Known issues are listed here:

There's 1 issue listed there regarding sudden drops in sub counts. That says they fixed it 2 days ago. Maybe that's your issue. If so, there was a link on that page to report it.

Other than that - I guarantee you that they're not looking into anything at all. That's just a standard help-desk response by an agent who has hundreds of emails to reply to.

You came here for advice. My advice is to start uploading regularly again. Otherwise what's your plan? Never upload again? I mean you have 2 choices.
I cannot upload regularly. 1 video a month at best, so my videos must perform great. I will upload soon if they don't reply me back. The guy said engineers are looking into it and it's confirmed there's a problem. It would be real jackasses if they are just replying with a generic fake reply. They replied back two times. This type of support is supposedly only for 100k+ channels so it's more personalized, I was hoping this would be useful.

As far someone taking my place and zero sum game, that's right, however, the loss in subs and views took one day, 1, it crashed hard like the stock market. Doesn't seem normal at all. Also, some other guy im talking to, told me he's going through the same thing. Massive loss in just one day, same day actually. And he uploads regularly. He has recently uploaded a video and it didn't even get 1000 views. He was average 400k views daily before this bs happened. Yep now im really worried at uploading my video.

He says this went on for two months last time until it got fixed.

If I upload and the thing is really broken and it doesn't get the views it should get im done with youtube, or if they want trash then I will give them trash, I will just mass produce low quality stuff.

Last edited:

moshi

Reaction score
YouTube currently rewards channels who upload frequently. It stinks for channels that need to take a lot of time to make content. I'd guess a good thing to do would be to write an "I'm alive!" note of sorts in the community tab to test the waters, then upload the video, but then try to think of ways to make content faster. Perhaps you could make shorter animation videos? :/ (That's usually not what creators want to hear, though...) But the content doesn't have to be videos anymore -- you can also take advantage of the community tab. ^_^ I've seen some animators post gifs and little sneak peeks of stuff they are working on in their community tab. :)
What community tab? didn't they get rid of that?

Also community tab wouldn't change things im afraid, I need traffic, so I need to upload something and hope they haven't fagged my channel permanently as "inactive" or something. You never know with youtube, they can kill channels with a single click, or the algorithm can, you never know really.

You need at least 10 minutes to get decent ad revenue so it's worth one's effort, that's the problem. 10 minutes of animation takes ages if you are putting a decent effort.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
What community tab? didn't they get rid of that?
The community tab became available for channels with 10k+ subscribers earlier this year. It's another way to engage with your current audience, rather than find a future audience (which is also important...). If a lot of people are unsubscribing when you haven't posted a video, it may be related to them thinking the channel is no longer active. Posting stuff in the community tab might keep people around while a new video is being made.

This is a link that explains more about the community tab:
https://creatoracademy.youtube.com/page/lesson/community-tab

As for what the algorithm does when a video is posted, we're all kind of gambling with accidentally posting on a "buggy Youtube day." I've noticed most updates seem to happen on Tuesday, so maybe don't post it then lol. If you keep your audience more engaged with the community tab, then they will more likely check out your new videos, helping the initial video views. The algorithm usually gives videos a better chance at ranking when they are new, so I think an extra boost from active subscribers will help it rank better in the future. ^^ But I suspect a big part of that equation is to keep subscribers engaged somehow, and if you are losing subscribers like you've mentioned, a lot of them aren't engaged anymore... :eek:

Reactions: Crown

itsmecb

Reaction score
1.Not uploading in months 2. confused why your channel is dying... Pick one

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What do you have to lose uploading a new video. If it is what people want to watch and linked to a popular video, I would think it would still get views. Complaining to us really won't do anything. I don't think uploading a new video is going to hurt you. I would think that if someone automatically becomes un subbed from your content they will re subscribe too.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I have a 300,000+ subs channel which was averaging a nice 35,000+ views daily as well as 100 subs on average gained daily on passive traffic alone
To be frank Moshi, those statistics alone tell me that most of your subs are not engaged with your channel.

They probably subscribed to your 10 million view video (congratulations by the way...) and have not watched much since - that's because you haven't given them much to watch though, not because YouTube is "broken".

If you enjoy producing high quality animation videos and posting them on YouTube, then go for it - knock yourself out. Some will be hugely successful, some won't. My advice would be to stop blaming YouTube when your more successful videos fall off a cliff. It's all part of being a video creator on YouTube. The platform wasn't created to help you make a living, and there's not a man with a screw driver working to "fix the problem" when your video has reached the end of it's life.

With regards to the guy (or gal) at YouTube support who told you that there was something wrong; the YouTube algorithm is incredibly complex and in constant change and evolution. I have no doubt that there is always "something wrong" that they are trying to put right. Your video with ten million views is twice the size of my entire channel, but it is an insignificant blip in the YouTubeosphere...Google execs would not shed a tear if it disappeared and was never seen again. They have better things to do than fix the algorithm just so that you do not lose views and subscribers.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think you are over analysing your problem and need to step back and see it in perspective.

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be frank Moshi, those statistics alone tell me that most of your subs are not engaged with your channel.

They probably subscribed to your 10 million view video (congratulations by the way...) and have not watched much since - that's because you haven't given them much to watch though, not because YouTube is "broken".

If you enjoy producing high quality animation videos and posting them on YouTube, then go for it - knock yourself out. Some will be hugely successful, some won't. My advice would be to stop blaming YouTube when your more successful videos fall off a cliff. It's all part of being a video creator on YouTube. The platform wasn't created to help you make a living, and there's not a man with a screw driver working to "fix the problem" when your video has reached the end of it's life.

With regards to the guy (or gal) at YouTube support who told you that there was something wrong; the YouTube algorithm is incredibly complex and in constant change and evolution. I have no doubt that there is always "something wrong" that they are trying to put right. Your video with ten million views is twice the size of my entire channel, but it is an insignificant blip in the YouTubeosphere...Google execs would not shed a tear if it disappeared and was never seen again. They have better things to do than fix the algorithm just so that you do not lose views and subscribers.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think you are over analysing your problem and need to step back and see it in perspective.
Well said. The internet and YT moves so fast, if you don't keep up you will be forgotten

Reactions: videoeditgr

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You can use the premiere feature to showcase your next animation as a countdown 24 hour livestream to hype people up for your next upload. I'm going to try that next time I get something done. and @KatyAdelson is completely right about community tab.

I've been using it, it does show up on people's home pages, and you can share animated gifs of your next animation - people love seeing little peeks like this just to be reminded that your working hard. I recommend it!

also pls share your channel, I'd love to see it.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
views are a rollacoaster so I try to ignore them and just concentrate on new content.
Indeed:up2: If you can, try to ignore it and focus on making new videos (if you got time and new ideas) That being said it must be pretty hard to see views and subscribers drop like that. That is huge numbers so of cause it impacts you but like mentioned in this thread views and subscribers go up and down and sometimes we dont even know why