MP4 will not play?

Hello all. I filmed a bunch of video last weekend with my Canon G7X. About 15 clips in the middle of the group will not play. On the camera, it says "cannot playback MP4". When I downloaded it to my laptop, it says "Can't play. This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt."

Is there any way to salvage the clips?
Any clue as to how this could have happened?

All of the other clips from the day are fine.

Thanks for the help!

if it doesn't play on the camera or computer then it sounds like the file is corrupt. Try playing it in VLC that always works. If not I don't think you will fix that. Could be duff or cheap memory card.

If you’re desperate and don’t have a converter, you could always upload them to YouTube as private then in your video manager use the download video feature. Youtube should convert the files to a usable format for you.

if it doesn't play on the camera or computer then it sounds like the file is corrupt. Try playing it in VLC that always works. If not I don't think you will fix that. Could be duff or cheap memory card.
Thanks. It was a cheaper memory card. I will Google VLC as I am not familiar with it.

Is there a brand you would recommend I stick with? I was using scandisk before with no issues, but this one was PNY[DOUBLEPOST=1510427567,1510427499][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you’re desperate and don’t have a converter, you could always upload them to YouTube as private then in your video manager use the download video feature. Youtube should convert the files to a usable format for you.
Thanks. I will give this a shot. I downloaded 2 free converters, but it did not work.

It's obvious your videos are corrupted for some reason. Keep those valid playable videos from your camera (you'll need them as reference files for the file recovery tool), take your corrupt videos, and run them through with any good data recovery software! I would use Restore.Media as I've used the service before and was highly satisfied, but if anything - you can find some more out there on the web. Converting your files to other formats won't help in this case.

Back