Monetization question...

Rocky89

I'm thinking of adding that to my channel so it can show ads, and I can make a little money. ;) 1 question, though.

1. Can I pick any video *I* want for Modentization, or does Youtube pick any of my video for itself?

I ask because I read the rules, and I wanna be careful.

With regular monetization through Adsense you choose which videos to submit, none are done automatically. They then have to be approved by Adsense.
Make sure you have commercial use rights for everything you see or hear in any video you submit. If you made it all your self like a vlog or sketch you should be fine. You will likely be asked to specify the source of all material and the license which gives you the rights to use it every time you submit a video for monetization.

There is an additional small danger of using Adsense monetization. If anything happens that goes against the Adsense ToS you could find your Adsense account shut down and yourself banned from ever using Adsense again. In that case the channel connected to your Adsense can never be partnered with a network.
This is not that likely to happen but there are plenty of stories to show that it isn't unheard of. Keep in mind things like watching the ads on your own video are forbidden in the Adsense ToS and have a potential to get you in trouble.

I used Adsense monetization for about 3 weeks before I learned all of this and was scared enough to immediately disable it.

Conversely, there are some here on YTtalk who swear by using Adsense and have had nothing but success and get paid well without a network that way.

Ultimately it's up to you and depends on what you want out of your channel and also what kind of content you produce.

With regular monetization through Adsense you choose which videos to submit, none are done automatically. They then have to be approved by Adsense.
Make sure you have commercial use rights for everything you see or hear in any video you submit. If you made it all your self like a vlog or sketch you should be fine. You will likely be asked to specify the source of all material and the license which gives you the rights to use it every time you submit a video for monetization.

There is an additional small danger of using Adsense monetization. If anything happens that goes against the Adsense ToS you could find your Adsense account shut down and yourself banned from ever using Adsense again. In that case the channel connected to your Adsense can never be partnered with a network.
This is not that likely to happen but there are plenty of stories to show that it isn't unheard of. Keep in mind things like watching the ads on your own video are forbidden in the Adsense ToS and have a potential to get you in trouble.

I used Adsense monetization for about 3 weeks before I learned all of this and was scared enough to immediately disable it.

Conversely, there are some here on YTtalk who swear by using Adsense and have had nothing but success and get paid well without a network that way.

Ultimately it's up to you and depends on what you want out of your channel and also what kind of content you produce.

Thanks. :) I make a lot of tribute videos with songs, and a few commercials I take off Space channel, and a show from the Comedy network, what about those?

Thanks. :) I make a lot of tribute videos with songs, and a few commercials I take off Space channel, and a show from the Comedy network, what about those?

If you didn't personally create the content, don't try to monetize it unless you can find a statement from the rights-holder specifically allowing commercial use of the content. (This is rare, not worth looking outside of indie productions.) Or in short, don't try to monetize those. Also, your videos might pass under fair-use (I can't watch from here at work, so I don't know), but don't try to use fair-use as justification when submitting to Adsense, they basically don't accept it. (Makes sense, since whether or not a use is "fair" is partially dependent on if it's used for personal gain.)

Finally, I am not a lawyer and this is just some stuff I spouted off the top of my head, partially based on my experiences, and not legal advice. If you want actual answers ask a lawyer.

Focus entirely on building your audience and views and most importantly the overall quality of your videos. Monetization will prove useful after some time has passed and you have a large following.

I have signed up for monetization, I have 2 final questions.

1. How long until I know which videos are approved or not?
2. What will the method of payment be? Paypal?

I have signed up for monetization, I have 2 final questions.

1. How long until I know which videos are approved or not?
2. What will the method of payment be? Paypal?
1. It may take 24 to 48 hours sometimes forever XD based on experience
2. Adsense payment is done by check that's why you need to fill up the info with your true information.

1. It may take 24 to 48 hours sometimes forever XD based on experience
2. Adsense payment is done by check that's why you need to fill up the info with your true information.

Thanks. ;)

Oh, bonus question... Check? Oh, I didn't know that, anyway around that?

Back