Millions of subs 20k views

Will Latimer

Liking YTtalk
So I have been seeing a lot of channels recently who have millions of subs but very low views. It made me think about what defines success on YouTube, is it the sub count or views or is it the audience engaging in the videos. My version of success is having a fan base or group of people that enjoy and critique my videos regularly whether that is 15 people or 1.5 million, what do you think?

If you have millions of subs and almost no views, you are doing something wrong. Either your content is very boring or the algorithm doesn't like you. But I agree with you, having a good, functioning community is a great asset. Whatever you do in the future outside of YouTube, you have people who will support you.

well people with large sub bases often go on and on and on and on doing the same thing with little diversity to their content causing viewers to leave and look elsewhere.

I've seen a lot of glitches on YouTubers videos lately for example I was watching a video and it said 19 views and 100 likes and 600 comments, I've been seeing a lot of that lately!

I would go back in their history and see how long they've been at the game. Every channel has a life cycle, so I'd bet that some of the channels were very popular at some point, but then have started to lose viewers, if not subscribers (yet).

From what I've seen, this seems to have happened not long ago and people would stop getting notifications from their channels. I watch some Youtubers in the 10+ million subs area and growing at a very fast pace, yet their videos usually only get 1-2 million views. It is very odd.

I don't know how it works for subs, but I know a while back one of my videos was hacked/had a glitch which showed something like 360 likes and around '2000' views (which didn't stick, it went back down to like 50 instantly because YouTube saw it was a glitch/hack)
It could be something like that?

ps. I've contacted YouTube SEVERAL TIMES about fixing that stupid like bar, but... alas... no reply... I'm not relevant enough hahaha

From what I've seen, this seems to have happened not long ago and people would stop getting notifications from their channels. I watch some Youtubers in the 10+ million subs area and growing at a very fast pace, yet their videos usually only get 1-2 million views. It is very odd.
If your videos get 1 - 2 million views that's called success, even though you have 10 million subs. (also only like 100 channels have 10M subs) I see your point though, but the OP I think means channels with very high sub count 800k ish struggling to get 20k views video. No matter your sub count there's a huge audience with 1 million views a video vs. *just* 100,000.

To be fair the sub to view ratio has been pretty bad for quite a while, I myself am suffering because of it, I honestly believe its the new algorithm and the fact that it's summer you would think youtube would be more popular at that time but obviously not, 20k views with millions of subs does seem very extreme and if that was me I would be quite worried as that really does look terrible

A million subs and 20k views sounds pretty strange... or do you mean per video? All time 20k views with 1mill subs sounds very fishy but per video that's certainly possible.

For example Optic Midnite has 676k subs but has changed her content(her channel seemed to be having problems anyway, only gained 4k subs in the past year) and only gets like 2-5k views per video with some standouts. Some large channels hit big declines for reasons like inactivity, changing their content, their content gets too repetitive and dull, their topic becomes irrelevant or they can't find the right ideas to stay relevant... I've been wondering for quite some time what happened to her channel, and I'm still not entirely sure but her views and subs dropped off like crazy in the past year.

Back