Mid Roll, Post Roll Ads???

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
I just uploaded my mountain biking video and I noticed that I have more ad options than I usually do. I now have the option for mid roll and post roll ads. Is this only for long videos? What do the mid-roll ads do exactly? I guess I'll have to play with it to see what they are like, I don't want to cover up my awesome footage with an ad, lol.

I just uploaded my mountain biking video and I noticed that I have more ad options than I usually do. I now have the option for mid roll and post roll ads. Is this only for long videos? What do the mid-roll ads do exactly? I guess I'll have to play with it to see what they are like, I don't want to cover up my awesome footage with an ad, lol.

Unless you have a long video, don't even bother with these. In fact the banner ads (in video) are the only ones I'd ever use on anything under 10 minutes. Pre roll is annoying, and if people have to watch 30 second ads to watch a two minute vid? Not happy bunnies.

Mid roll ads are ads that appear in the middle of your longer videos. They pay very well, but if you don't have an established audience, you risk people clicking off your video once they start playing. Take a look at your audience retention. If they're not making it more than 50% through your videos, there's no point in running a mid roll ad because no one will get that far to have it play anyway.

You get the option for mid-roll and post-rolls on videos that are 10 minutes or longer. Mid-roll and post-rolls are similar to pre-rolls. They're usually those 15-30 second commercials you see before a video starts. Mid-rolls happen in the middle of the video, at times the uploader specifies. YouTube suggests that you put these in sections that naturally have breaks. Think of them like commercial breaks on TV. Post-rolls play after the video is done playing.

I'll usually enable post-rolls, but I don't have any videos with mid-rolls enabled because there's not really any spots where they'd be good, and I don't want people closing the video because an commercial suddenly appeared in the middle of it.

Pre/Post is best unless you have a large number of dedicated fans willing to sit through a mid video commercial. Think about it, unless you are watching someone you are really a fan of instead of just clicking on a related video you most likely will click away from the video if a ad starts playing in the middle.

Back