Microphone making a noise...

Thank you, I've just looked it up on youtube and someone there says you've got to change the sound setting the manual on the camera, but also that you need to have a certain mic so you can change a setting on that too! urgh! long!! Thanks for your reply though! :)

That's so unfortunate. I know a few people that use standalone mics and just sync things when the editing process comes along. It's easier than it sounds but I hope you resolve your issues nonetheless. The interwebs wants your videos.

That's weird, I had the opposite problem! I started off with a small Nikon Coolpix and it gave that awful hiss, so I swapped it for a Canon DSLR and the hiss was gone.

To give your question the short answer; no, changing the settings wi not get rid of the hiss. At best you could turn on 'wind noise reduction', this will reduce the noise but it will also muffle your voice - exactly what you don't want for your style of video.

The hiss is caused by external noise. Your camera microphone will pick up sounds from every direction, but it doesn't have the capability of deciding what the dominant noise is, and filtering out the excess.

If you're definitely not considering returning your equipment and investing in pricier stuff (ie a dslr), then I have two methods that may work.

1. Cut out lots of foam/ sponge blocks and place them on places sound reverbates in your room. This will drastically cut down the amount of hiss as they will absorb a lot of noise, however you'll probably still get some. Plus it would make your room look a bit silly :p

2. If your editing software has audio tweaking features, create a noise gate that filters out the hiss. This may be slightly difficult if you've not had experience with it before, however I know it works because I do electrical engineering in uni and I've used it before. If you can determine the exact decibel level where the hiss is at, create a noise gate that will cut out everything below this threshold. Hey presto, hiss is gone but your voice remains.

Sorry for the essay! Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to message me if you need me to clarify or help out.

A pop-filter can proabably be what you need to fix your problem. Even with electronics off there will always be background noise.
You could also try taking off the noise in editing.

A pop filter won't do anything.

You have two options when dealing with a sensitive mic, assuming your camera has the proper setting. Look for the input volume of the mic and turn down the gain. If that option is not there, then you're stuck with option 2.

The second option is Digital Audio Workstation(DAW) noise reduction ala Audacity, Audition, Cubase, etc, etc. See sig for Audacity instructions.

It's unlikely to be a bad mic, just a sensitive one.

Back