Microphone lacking?

Cristy Ella

Loving YTtalk
Hey there. I feel like my microphone is not sounding too great. It sound kind of flat and a little grainy . I know sony vegas has a few options to clean up voices but I'm not sure of how to approach it. I also can't afford a new microphone at this stage.

Also sony vegas is not registering my microphone. I use OBS a lot but I'd like to keep my voice track separate to my game play sounds. But I think OBS is stealing my microphone so vegas can't use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you record separate audio tracks I'd suggest you try to use Audacity instead of Vegas to record the microphone audio, Audacity gives you more elaboration options that may help you.

I third the audacity :) it even got the sounds clean up that helps a bit with background sounds ^_^

I third the audacity :) it even got the sounds clean up that helps a bit with background sounds ^_^
As others said Audacity is the best for audio recording. I used it for recording from my Korg PA50 synth, standard 3.5mm jack microphones, headsets, SingStar USB microphones (from PS2) and even laptop built-in microphone (although the quality there is less than what can be desired). If your microphone is not turning in Audacity, try unplugging it and plugging it again, check the settings in Audacity and in Windows - there is also levels to be set up, microphone source (it can be several). If it is recognised by OBS, there is no reason for not being seen in Audacity as well.

I'm not sure why Audacity isn't recognizing your microphone. But if you get that figured out, to better the sound of the mic, try EQ'ing the vocal. Drop most of the bass, and play around with the mids/highs to your liking. Some slight reverb can help too.

I'm not sure why Audacity isn't recognizing your microphone. But if you get that figured out, to better the sound of the mic, try EQ'ing the vocal. Drop most of the bass, and play around with the mids/highs to your liking. Some slight reverb can help too.
We're having loads of issues with my computer creating a clone of the mic. I'm not exactly sure whats going on with it. I can record in OBS, turn it into an mp3 in vegas and then use audacity but it's getting to be a bit of a headache.

As others said Audacity is the best for audio recording. I used it for recording from my Korg PA50 synth, standard 3.5mm jack microphones, headsets, SingStar USB microphones (from PS2) and even laptop built-in microphone (although the quality there is less than what can be desired). If your microphone is not turning in Audacity, try unplugging it and plugging it again, check the settings in Audacity and in Windows - there is also levels to be set up, microphone source (it can be several). If it is recognised by OBS, there is no reason for not being seen in Audacity as well.
Plugging it back in has not fixed it. I think it's because there was a mistake in command promt. I lost the ability to access most of my hard drives etc.

Back