Microphone Advice

It's alright. That or MXL 990. Its really good value, small and comes with a free shock absorber. :)
From what I've been seeing, the non-usb version is affordable but everywhere I look that's available in canada, the usb version is 50-60 bucks more.

It's alright. That or MXL 990. Its really good value, small and comes with a free shock absorber. :)
Also, the ATR2500 is the 2nd gen of the AT2020, exact same specs but with new zero latency audio jack, in-line volume buttons and a new look.

You lose all versatility if you stick to a USB mic. I wrote a guide a little while ago on the differences between various mic features. I ALWAYS recommend an XLR mic with a proper XLR/USB interface.

http://yttalk.com/threads/microphone-guide.43466/

Search amazon for Behringer, Alesis or Mackie. Find a small mixing board (5 channel will more than suit your needs) for $40-$60. This opens up the world of XLR mics and removes a ton of limitations. Is it more expensive, yes. Quality often is. But for $150-$160 you can get a small mixer, XLR cable and good XLR mic. Go to a local music shop and ask for the mixer & mic but see if they'll throw in the cable for free. ;)

You would do better with a small mixing board and a Shure SM58 than most of the mics suggested thus far for versatility. If you're just doing podcasting voice then a desktop condenser will work just fine for you. Blue mics are ok, but I would never buy one myself. Too many kiddies suggesting them because it's the only microphone they know about.

You lose all versatility if you stick to a USB mic. I wrote a guide a little while ago on the differences between various mic features. I ALWAYS recommend an XLR mic with a proper XLR/USB interface.

Search amazon for Behringer, Alesis or Mackie. Find a small mixing board (5 channel will more than suit your needs) for $40-$60. This opens up the world of XLR mics and removes a ton of limitations. Is it more expensive, yes. Quality often is. But for $150-$160 you can get a small mixer, XLR cable and good XLR mic. Go to a local music shop and ask for the mixer & mic but see if they'll throw in the cable for free. ;)

You would do better with a small mixing board and a Shure SM58 than most of the mics suggested thus far for versatility. If you're just doing podcasting voice then a desktop condenser will work just fine for you. Blue mics are ok, but I would never buy one myself. Too many kiddies suggesting them because it's the only microphone they know about.
I decided on the AT2020 USB, XLR is more flexible but I don't need radio audio quality, just more professional then where I am at.

I found a used AT2020 for the same price as a snowball so grabbin it quick.

I decided on the AT2020 USB, XLR is more flexible but I don't need radio audio quality, just more professional then where I am at.

I found a used AT2020 for the same price as a snowball so grabbin it quick.
The AT2020 is a good mic. My only concern/suggestion is to figure out a way to test it before you buy it. Condensers are known for not being very "tough" mics

The AT2020 is a good mic. My only concern/suggestion is to figure out a way to test it before you buy it. Condensers are known for not being very "tough" mics
I'm not buying it from a person :p

The company I buy audio equipment from has a used department where they buy your items, refurb or touch them up and resell them.

They outline the quality/any problems with it on the product page and I have 30days to return it.

Also I am surprised you didn't mention that the AT2020 has very good build quality aside from the stand. I'm pretty hopeful.

Back