Many Small Tags or Specific Tags?

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to optimize my channel's search results. What is the best kind of tags to use? Short and sweet or specific and why?

Compound word tags are best for tagging. It helps people find your video specifically and they are more likely to come across it. If you make a video on WWII and just tag WWII, Hitler, etc. not many people will find it. But if you tag Hitler and the Nazi party in WWII, it can be found by people searing that. Hope that made sense!

Compound word tags are best for tagging. It helps people find your video specifically and they are more likely to come across it. If you make a video on WWII and just tag WWII, Hitler, etc. not many people will find it. But if you tag Hitler and the Nazi party in WWII, it can be found by people searing that. Hope that made sense!
I think I understand.

If I made a video related to Nintendo Switch Cartridges Tasting Bad I would want to include all of that in one tag and possible variations of it if it's what people are searching?

Yep, long-chain keywords are your best bet.
Going with the same example of Nintendo Switch, you can also use terms such as "Nintendo Switch review," "Nintendo Switch cartridge smell," "Nintendo switch taste bad," or "Nintendo switch cartridges."

Thank you this has been very helpful! I'm going to definitely fix my tags once I get home. I hate doing it on mobile

Awesome advice! Cheers

The first 5 tags should be the most specific to your video. They help your videos in youtube search results.
The rest help in recommendations etc.

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to optimize my channel's search results. What is the best kind of tags to use? Short and sweet or specific and why?
It's best to have a mix of general tags (i.e. short keywords) and specific tags (i.e. long tail keywords) in your content.

While the chances of ranking very high in general tags is pretty low for small content creators, they're useful as an indicator for what your entire channel is about and theoretically, should help you show up as a "recommended video" more. Especially if you create videos on a certain topic, you're more likely to pop up as a recommendation if much of your content includes related keywords to that.

At the same time though, the right long tail keywords help you get more views more immediately because people are actively searching using multiple terms instead of short ones. It's all about testing and finding the right balance.

Back