Making '''youtube friends''''

For online friends, I've made them through the games that I've played. For YouTube, however, I know absolutely no one. This site has been the closest I've gotten to meeting anyone doing the same thing. :thumbsdown2:
I've made a couple of friends through online games, too, but only a few aquantences through social media, mostly Instagram, not so much on YouTube!

I have subscribers I interact with in the game I play, I'm kinda friends with some of them. Some of them also just want me to give them attention though, which honestly makes it really hard to feel like a natural friendship. Sometimes we'll be having a normal convo and then they'll just be like hey can you shout out my channel or can I make a video with you right now. Just makes the whole thing can be kind of awkward sometimes.

I vaguely know some of the people who make the same type of content as me, but I'm just not that into collaborating. The only places I've really found to talk strategy with other creators are these forums and then I read stuff in Brian G Johnson's facebook group, morningfame facebook group, and going to conventions like VidCon or maybe VidSummit (but it's so expensive...).

Ha, don't be, because 26 year old me feels the same way xD I seem to have the opposite problem, as in the people I interact with are much older then me. I really don't understand how people just find a community they seem to fit in. I feel like the creative communities are easier (animation channels, animation memes, storytime animations, timelapse drawings, etc). They're very distinct with multiple platforms you can interact on.

So my experience has been similar to yours. The most like minded people I've found are actually on this forum! But nothing that led to collaborations or actual online friendships. I've tried FB groups as well, but as I said, most people seem to be a lot older or in a vastly different niche.
I kind of feel relieved about your comment, as I am in my very late 30s and a part of me was wondering if I am too old to be doing this, since most of the gaming collabs requests come from teenagers. I don't have a YT channel yet (which is being prevented by some technical issues), but I am happy to chat! I suppose I'll be in the same shoes once I start, lol. :)

I kind of feel relieved about your comment, as I am in my very late 30s and a part of me was wondering if I am too old to be doing this, since most of the gaming collabs requests come from teenagers. I don't have a YT channel yet (which is being prevented by some technical issues), but I am happy to chat! I suppose I'll be in the same shoes once I start, lol. :)
Don't feel like you're old! It might seem like most (gaming) Youtubers are kids, but you'll see that a lot of high quality content creators (and tournament playing Youtubers) are 20 or 35 plus. Hell, there's even a gaming grandma out there. You're never too old to enter a creative field :)

Don't feel like you're old! It might seem like most (gaming) Youtubers are kids, but you'll see that a lot of high quality content creators (and tournament playing Youtubers) are 20 or 35 plus. Hell, there's even a gaming grandma out there. You're never too old to enter a creative field :)

Hell, I'm 45... that doesn't let me stop gaming. :tongue:

Funny you should say that OrbitGuy, i've been considering VidCon :giggle: Any experiences with going to something like that?

I went to VidCon in 2017, there were definitely a lot of opportunities to meet other creators there. I got the creator pass and went to some of the workshops, it was neat because one of the groups we had someone who hadn't started their channel and someone who was doing a full time kids tv type channel, so a full range of experience. There were some really known people just wandering around. They claimed they were making changes after that for future events so I'm not sure what it was like this year. The workshops were probably the best part, the community track events were interesting but even the ones about building a channel were very shallow in the advice and the creator track ones were what I was really wanting to see. It was really cool just to be around all of these creators and fans and to just feel like what you are doing matters to people. A lot of people I interact with daily have no comprehension about my channel or what goes into it so it was really crazy to suddenly be around so many people who understood in a way.

Met most mine through Youtubing. Most are 20-30 range surprisingly. But yeah its a small list though lol

Back