Making your Thumbnails Pop!

MagetheEntertainer

Loving YTtalk
Hey guys its your buddy mage here, today I wanted to give back a little advice for my fellow youtubers with small channels. One way you can get more views on your videos is to make your thumbnails look better. Even though the old saying goes "don't Judge a book by its cover" the first thing that people judge when they see a video is your thumbnail which is basically the videos "Cover" Attached is a simple example of a picture I got off the internet, alongside that same picture once I did a little editing to it.

This is the original Picture
cctLDCx.jpg

It looks dark, a little blurry and over all not a very good look for Super Meat Boy

Here is the enhanced Picture
zoQVcUo.jpg

Now if you just the giant 1, you can notice that the picture is much brighter, the red is more vibrant, the picture is slightly less blurry, and Super Meat boy looks a tough and vibrant as ever. Now don't get discouraged, I am not any type of photo shop expert, and doing this is not hard at all, all you have to due is change the pictures brightness, contrast, and color saturation to get your desired look. I'm not going to go into how to do this since there are many different image editing programs out there, but I'll give you my Gimp settings as an example. I set the red saturation up to +100, i put the hue up by +1, I set the brightness to 20 and the contrast to 15. Bada bing Bada Boom amazing looking thumb nail that pops out and will attract lots of viewers.

I don't mean to offend you but give me five minutes in PS...heck even MS Paint and I can design up something better.

These don't stand out to me, they're really basic. A eye catching thumbnail isn't all about colors and how vibrant they are.

EDIT: A little over 10 minutes, but this would definitely appeal to me more:

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:
I agree with putting focus on thumbnails. Many of mine look pants apart from my scorpion reviews default dan one. thats still my fav. Also need to improv my tumbnails on rooster rocket as well. I think once iv created the playable youtube game im working on then I will upgrade all my thumbnails and then continue uploading more vids again

I'll have to devote some time to thumbnails as well. Trying to maybe find a way to improve mine (there's always room for improvement).

I think it depends on how unique the thumbnail looks. If you run across 3 thumbnails with the same character, you would grow accustom to the design. If you see 3 thumbnails and 1 thumbnail that's out of the ordinary, I think someone would click the odd one.

Yup, focusing on thumbnails is really important, and one of the most fun jobs of uploading a video in my opinion, one of my most eye catching thumbnails is in my signature! :)

Back