X-RUST

Hello! I want to start a non-profit channel just for entertainment purposes, with my videos containing copyrighted songs. They would be something like music videos but in my case a copyrighted song would be just accompanying the story I shot to convey my point (for some reason I can't post a link to an example of something similar I want to create, but it's a video called "Dog Boarding" which represents what I'm talking about.
So the only thing I want is not to have my videos taken down in the future due to copyright issues, so people could watch them. Please tell me, is there anything I can do to let the videos stay on my channel? The only thing I can think of at the moment is to put something like "Music: Around the world by Daft Punk" at the end of the video file itself and in the description box and also put there a link to artist's itunes page . Will it suffice?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Copyrights a bit rough to deal with, you've got really only two ways to use copyright material. Email the record label or the person holding the copyright and ask for permission to use it explaining
everything including the the fact that you only plan on doing it non-profit. Then there's the type of parody where you change the music and words just enough that it doesn't sound like
the original song. Those are really the only two ways you can do it to avoid copyright infringement.

Hello! I want to start a non-profit channel just for entertainment purposes, with my videos containing copyrighted songs. They would be something like music videos but in my case a copyrighted song would be just accompanying the story I shot to convey my point (for some reason I can't post a link to an example of something similar I want to create, but it's a video called "Dog Boarding" which represents what I'm talking about.
So the only thing I want is not to have my videos taken down in the future due to copyright issues, so people could watch them. Please tell me, is there anything I can do to let the videos stay on my channel? The only thing I can think of at the moment is to put something like "Music: Around the world by Daft Punk" at the end of the video file itself and in the description box and also put there a link to artist's itunes page . Will it suffice?
Thanks!

There is really no easy way to do what you're doing without coming under fire of some kind.

There is a common misconception that linking back to the owner of the material somehow exempts the individual from copyright law; it doesn't. You can link and disclaim all you want, but it's all for naught.

Copyrights a bit rough to deal with, you've got really only two ways to use copyright material. Email the record label or the person holding the copyright and ask for permission to use it explaining
everything including the the fact that you only plan on doing it non-profit. Then there's the type of parody where you change the music and words just enough that it doesn't sound like
the original song. Those are really the only two ways you can do it to avoid copyright infringement.
Thanks, good to know there are ways. Too bad the first one sounds unrealistic for a beginner youtuber...

There is really no easy way to do what you're doing without coming under fire of some kind.

There is a common misconception that linking back to the owner of the material somehow exempts the individual from copyright law; it doesn't. You can link and disclaim all you want, but it's all for naught.
Are you telling me that it isn't necessary to link back the artist because I'm gonna be in trouble anyway with that Content ID system? I mean, linking back won't help me AT ALL?

Thanks, good to know there are ways. Too bad the first one sounds unrealistic for a beginner youtuber...

Are you telling me that it isn't necessary to link back the artist because I'm gonna be in trouble anyway with that Content ID system? I mean, linking back won't help me AT ALL?

Well the first way is actually the more realistic way considering the time it saves, but most people join a partner like maker or freedom (not suggesting these just using them as examples)
because they generally have audio library's that have already dealt with the copyright issues, but personally I would rather deal with emailing the company than joining a network.

It depends on the licence. For example, music licensed under Creative Commons often states that you can do what you want, even commercial use, as long as you link back. However, for the vast majority of content that doesn't have a special licence like that applied, that's not the case. In fact, if you do link to such materials, it might actually increase your chances of getting caught, because text is very easy to be indexed and searched by systems scanning the internet for infringement.

Back