Lots of views, not many subs

Oscar J Stones

I've Got It
I've realised with each video I post I'm getting a (relatively) large amount of views, but very few subscribers from it. I get that I'm pretty new (only 3 videos) and my topics are really varied; but does anyone have any other advice on turning viewers into subscribers.

the cliché "call your viewers to action" thing is what most people are going to say. ask them to subscribe, like or ask a comment question at different points in the video. try and get your engagement ratio as high as possible.

if your channel is on many topics, you have to be the niche - focus on why you're interesting and need to be listened to.

Do you have a subscribe icon on the bottom right (branding icon) ? Do you have a subscribe pop up icon? Do you do a call to action at the end (or beginning?). Do you pin a comment telling people to like and subscribe? If you're doing all of these things, let me know.

I dont annoy my viewers by begging them to subscribe with icons, pop ups, calls to action, pins, pops or any of that.
My feeling is that if they like our videos and know how Youtube works, they will subscribe. I'm not going to waste their time teaching them how to use YouTube - that's not why they came to watch my video.
Any time I watch a youtube video with someone desperately begging me to subscribe, i (almost always) immediatly give a thumbs-down and leave.

Like some of the people above said. Having a "call to action" may help, but maybe with a soft approach and not like those youtubers that tell the viewers "TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON" and whatnot. But hey, I might be wrong and that might work too, based on some of the stuff I've seen.

IMO there is nothing wrong with asking people to subscribe so if you are not doing that already you might try that in the beginning of your videos.
And like mentioned in this thread there is the call to action thing you could work on

I think it's normal for 1 out of the 1,000 videos we make in the beginning to take off exponentially with views. But subscribers on the other hand....eh...not so much there. I've had 3 videos with way more views then all my other videos but the subscribers that came from them weren't very many. But these videos also were part of my normal niche (except for one). And I did not expect them to be so popular either.

If I knew what I did now (mainly from this site) I would've asked people to subscribe at the end to stay updated on current videos. But it doesn't have to sound like, "Hey, You. Subscribe. Thanks." But more of, "If you like this video be sure to subscribe. It really helps us a lot. Anyways we hope you have a good day and we'll see you next time." Maybe not the best kind of outro. We mix up the words bit from time to time. But creating a type of call to action does increase numbers. Whether shamelessly or not. As long as you're not like "TheRichest" or "WatchMojo" where they literally hammer you with it at the beginning of every video with an icon then I think you're fine. =]

I dont annoy my viewers by begging them to subscribe with icons, pop ups, calls to action, pins, pops or any of that.
My feeling is that if they like our videos and know how Youtube works, they will subscribe. I'm not going to waste their time teaching them how to use YouTube - that's not why they came to watch my video.
Any time I watch a youtube video with someone desperately begging me to subscribe, i (almost always) immediatly give a thumbs-down and leave.

Intersting comment...I am new and all the gurus say to add all of the things you have stated. So inherently I put them in my videos. I didn't think that would turn anyone from my channel...I may have to re-think the call to action stuff. Maybe I'll tone them down a bit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers,
Scott

Intersting comment...I am new and all the gurus say to add all of the things you have stated. So inherently I put them in my videos. I didn't think that would turn anyone from my channel...I may have to re-think the call to action stuff. Maybe I'll tone them down a bit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

All the gurus do is repeat and regurgitate the same stuff.. To make sure you watch THEIR channel instead of someone else's channel they will make more interesting videos like "THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO", blah, blah.. Eventually, after they all try to one-up each other, they make it sound as if you DONT do as they say, YouTube will delete your account.

You can always tell a Youtube channel that follows "the experts" too closely. When I look at the "big"/'real' channels in my niche, virtually none of them beg for viewers to subscribe, and very few even use thumbnails splattered in text.

Again, most Youtubers know how the subscribe button works and where it is. If they like your stuff, they will use it. They dont need to be treated like retards and taught what it's about and have us point our fingers to it.

Back