Long vs. Short Video Descriptions

Do you prefer long or short video descriptions?

• Long

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Short

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

AnnaLovesVlogging

I Love YTtalk
I have a tendency to write a one-sentence description of what my video is about, while using the rest of the description box to include my links (FB, Twitter, etc.) as well as links to any external websites or YouTubers I mentioned in my video.

However, a lot of YouTubers write really long descriptions. I never read the whole thing so I'm inclined to think that maybe shorter is better, but how does that play into your videos coming up in YouTube/Google searches?

The length does not matter much. If you want to rank in search engines, all that matters in the description is keyword density. For example if you wanted to rank for the search "Big House", you would want the words "big", "house", "mansion", "large", etc in your description multiple times. If you don't care about the SEO side of things, I prefer longer descriptions, because they look more professional to me. I have a default description I use for all my videos, and there are a couple sentences that get changed. This helps my videos come up on the suggested videos thing, and I feel like it is professional as I stated before. :)

I don't think anyone reads them anyways ._.

What about the people who do read them? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

On topic, Long does look more professional, but short ones are easier to read in some cases and are simple, might be an added bonus to attracting a regular visitor. :D

What about the people who do read them? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

On topic, Long does look more professional, but short ones are easier to read in some cases and are simple, might be an added bonus to attracting a regular visitor. :D

o-o Well... Then good for them? o-o I read it occasionally. Unless it's like 7 paragraphs ._.

I tend to do shorter descriptions, a lot of what I feel is important I will bring up in video. I mainly use the description to outline the video and include any links referenced within.

I like the "tldr" approach. We all know the first sentence is the most important. I basically make sure the first thing we say on a video is something strong/good/attention grabbing, and then fill out a longer desc that's stays relevant and informative but not as eye catching, like what day new videos of the show come out and what it's generally about.

That's best case, of course. Usually I'm exhausted from editing all night and my brain is barely working when I write the description. A good thing to keep in mind though is that you can always go back and update/change/fix them.

Back