Logo Usage in YouTube Videos

Michael

I Love YTtalk
When mentioning brands/companies in your videos do you need licenses to use their logos for example as a pop up in the corner of your video if you display their logo for a few seconds when talking about them?

An example could be if I was doing a talk on Apple phones and I was to display the Apple logo or iPhone logo briefly, would I need written permission/licensing from Apple to do that?

I am 99% sure that I would need to get a license/proper permission for branding usage so it would be best to avoid doing it at all. I havent done this yet of course but I was wanting to display a companies logo briefly in one of my upcoming videos. I also think is it that much different to recording their website with a screen recorder and showing that instead. I know showing a PNG logo on its own is slightly different to showing their website as a whole which is publicly available etc

Anyone know if this is fine and how its different to using a screen recording of their site which would include the logo? I am really unsure about this one.

Thanks guys.

There is the standard protection under fair use for including logos as a part of critique/review/commentary. Beyond that, you have to make certain that the viewer cannot confuse what you're doing with being an official piece from the company that owns the logo.

Generally, the best way to handle this is include a section in your description listing who the logo is for, where you sourced the image and that your use of the logo is consistent with fair use doctrine as well as which portion of fair use applies (critique, commentary, etc.)

There is the standard protection under fair use for including logos as a part of critique/review/commentary. Beyond that, you have to make certain that the viewer cannot confuse what you're doing with being an official piece from the company that owns the logo.

Generally, the best way to handle this is include a section in your description listing who the logo is for, where you sourced the image and that your use of the logo is consistent with fair use doctrine as well as which portion of fair use applies (critique, commentary, etc.)

Thanks Tarmack, I have always been a bit iffy about including them, I guess its similar to when people do reviews of products and their products logos are shown all the way through, same as having them in the title etc when it comes to law on YouTube it is dependent on the creators country which laws apply when it comes to fair use and copyright etc or is it Californian law/USA law or where they YouTube servers are hosted or where the copyright owner lives? I have always wondered that.

I will just go for it and mention the logos source website, if anything its a nice link for them. The site I have bookmarked for referring to is this one here:

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use
and http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p27_work_of_others

Not sure if theres anything better out there but it seems simple enough. For this video for example say I mention VidCon a little, would that be fine to display its logo for say three seconds as I start talking about it? I think it could come under instruction, review and news reporting sort of since I will be telling people what it is and that you can use such events to meet creators.

Back