Let's Play videos without commentary with Ads?

Poppy24

I thought youtube did not allow gameplay videos without commentary. Today, I found many videos that have no commentary whatsoever with ads. Now, I'm confused.

Also, my second question is if text only walkthroughs are considered an added value that I can monetize.

I want to do Nintendo gameplay, but that 40% cut is swaying me in the other direction.

I thought youtube did not allow gameplay videos without commentary. Today, I found many videos that have no commentary whatsoever with ads. Now, I'm confused.

Also, my second question is if text only walkthroughs are considered an added value that I can monetize.

I want to do Nintendo gameplay, but that 40% cut is swaying me in the other direction.
Not an expert on this topic but here is my two cents:
1. Let's Plays without commentary are really just walkthroughs or playthroughs.
2. The reason the videos probably haven't been taken down yet is because something is slighterly altered about them (it might have a wallpaper background, its mirrored, or the sound quality is slightly higher or lower) or YouTube hasn't found these videos yet because it hasn't gotten a lot of attention.

In conclusion, go ahead and do your Nintendo gameplay just make sure you alter it a bit so you won't get copyrighted.

there's so many game related copyright questions recently. But first off "youtube" generally doesn't put a hand into stuff like that, it's the company's that claim you. But like Reverofenola mentioned, a lot of the videos are altered in some way to get around the auto claim that company's put in place but you can still get hit if the company decides to look up videos and claims them which is generally why they get to stay up.

Let's play videos without commentary = playthroughs. Let's play videos done professionally with or without commentary = walkthroughs.
Regardless of the type of video you're making (since fair use is case by case) you should always seek permission from the copyright holders, plain and simple.

They might have ads, but you don't know who they're paying. Those videos could be 3rd party claimed and the game company might be taking all of the income earned from it, not the channel/ person who uploaded it.

Why would they not be allowed? If the game publisher requires commentary - ok, but if they don't who would not allow them and why?

Why would they not be allowed? If the game publisher requires commentary - ok, but if they don't who would not allow them and why?

there's so many game related copyright questions recently. But first off "youtube" generally doesn't put a hand into stuff like that, it's the company's that claim you. But like Reverofenola mentioned, a lot of the videos are altered in some way to get around the auto claim that company's put in place but you can still get hit if the company decides to look up videos and claims them which is generally why they get to stay up.

I don't think Nintendo has any requirement for commentary or not. I was just more worried about youtube. I am clear with nintendo.

This is the link I saw that made me worry and confused how many others gameplay videos without commentary still had ads: support.google.com /youtube/answer/138161

"Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."

EDIT: forum didn't let me post the full link.[DOUBLEPOST=1448176616,1448146676][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I signed up for Nintendo Creators Program, and see they have a whitelist (acceptable games for monitization). Then I check on youtube again and see people monetizing tons of videos not on the whitelist that have been up for quite a while (have not seen any sign of these walkthroughs being altered to avoid the content-ID match). If I haven't said already, my goal was to solely do silent gameplay. I find those videos with commentary too annoying for my taste. Honestly, don't know what to think anymore if so many people are getting away with this. I would do it, but I'm too paranoid

As long content it's fair for use you safe, but some video games monetize option need review by AdSense, if you join Network you will not have problem in monetizing option :)

As long content it's fair for use you safe, but some video games monetize option need review by AdSense, if you join Network you will not have problem in monetizing option :)

My content is obviously not fair use if I am making silent gameplay

Just confused on people that have videos like this: watch?v=Tfpb8eyhqEg

No fair use at all, have ads

Last edited:
You Under Network right "BP and get premium managed"? I think thats safe and your channel already verified :eek:
This some guys also play game w/o commantary "PheonixMaster1" under Network "Collab and get premium managed" also verified channel :)

Back