Let's fix Youtube's broken Copyright protection system

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Wow. Now even Doug Walker AKA The Nostalgia Critic is affected like this and started a petition to tell Youtube to get its damn act together. He has a point. If HE can't do anything about, what can any of us possibly do?

www change org/p/let-s-fix-youtube-s-broken-copyright-protection-system

As much of an annoyance YT's copyright system is, it's the way it is because it protects GOOGLE/YOUTUBE exactly the way it should. The only reason they have it is to protect themselves from lawsuits. I don't see them changing it. Google is monolithic and I highly doubt they will change their entire content ID and copyright system to satisfy a few people.

As much of an annoyance YT's copyright system is, it's the way it is because it protects GOOGLE/YOUTUBE exactly the way it should. The only reason they have it is to protect themselves from lawsuits. I don't see them changing it. Google is monolithic and I highly doubt they will change their entire content ID and copyright system to satisfy a few people.
I don't think it's just a few people. After all, what would you do if you up and woke up to see your channel gone and nothing to really do about it despite abiding by Youtube's rules and guidelines?

YouTube's copyright system is not "broken". I agree that it is not perfect, but it's a great system that for the most part protects all parties. It works remarkably well due to the sheer volume of content uploaded to YouTube. I use Content ID on a daily basis to manage rights for both myself and clients I work with. It's an amazing system and there are tools in place to fix issues that happen. If you receive a false claim, you can dispute it. If you get a false strike, you can file a counter notification. The biggest problem that I have with it is that it does allow false claimers to profit off of the work of others, and the money isn't returned to the rightful party.

The biggest problem that I have with it is that it does allow false claimers to profit off of the work of others, and the money isn't returned to the rightful party.
This is the thing I hate most about their system, I wouldn't mind false content ID claims as much (whether it be on my videos or a claim from me to another) if YouTube didn't have a guilty till proven innocent system, it's basically YouTube doing worse than half arsed mediation between the parties, any money made off a claim should be held by Google until 1 party is proven to be in the right/innocent regardless of whether it was 1 cent or $1000. At my size it'd most likely only be 1cent (if lucky lol) but imagine channels who would earn a large amount of monetised views within the first few hours of a video being released and not knowing it was claimed until after all those views become stagnate.

Rightfully you can't always punish people who make automated claims because the system isn't perfect but YouTube could easily step up their mediation techniques (which could also be automated if they didn't want to do the work themselves which they don't) to prevent the original party who was in the right from suffering for it.

Rightfully you can't always punish people who make automated claims because the system isn't perfect but YouTube could easily step up their mediation techniques (which could also be automated if they didn't want to do the work themselves which they don't) to prevent the original party who was in the right from suffering for it.
As the system stands now, there is no mediation system at all. The claimant is the only person who sees and judges the dispute. It's my personal opinion that an independent third-party judge would be much better.

The only true way of fixing YouTubes copyright system is if YouTube agreed to allow YouTubers to pay a royalty fee similar to a Mechanical License you have to pay for selling covers on iTunes etc. The royalty fee is 9 cents per download so that wouldn't be too bad to afford.

Back