Is the average 2 USD per 1k views a myth?

Scapestrato

Loving YTtalk
Hey everybody,

long story short, I run a pretty popular channel in the nursery rhyme niche and usually I got anything between 0.5-0.7 USD every 1k views, the exception being Christmas season where the range is more like 0.7-0.9 USD every 1k views.

I always thought that this was mostly due to the fact that just 15-18% of my total traffic comes from the US, and most of the rest is from poor countries.

So I started to work on channels with a larger US viewers base, but the results till now are not exactly encouraging.

I started a channel in the Youtube gossip niche (basically videos talking about the most popular youtubers), and for 410k views I got 230 USD. Since 65% of the traffic is coming from the US, I was honestly expecting way more than that.

Even worse for another channel in the wrestling niche. 61k views, 46% traffic coming from the US for an astounding sum of...13.35 USD!!

Before you ask, all the videos in these channels are monetized with a green icon next to them and none of them is age restricted. One thing that might be worth mentioning though is that I don`t use unskippable ads as I think they are very annoying for viewers.

So, is there any truth in the widespread notion that 2 USD is the average earnings for 1k views or am I correct assuming is it just a myth?

Its just an average dude. Some people are way up on this and some are way down. My average goes up and down throughout the year.

I think the $2 calculation should be considered per 1000 impressions not per 1000 views.

Let me give you my Adsense numbers as example (Across all channels as I do not have seperate figures for 'EVO')
65million views
24.5 million impressions
1.43 million clicks
2.2% Page CTR
5.83% Impression CTR
Average £0.52 page RPM
Average £1.38 impression RPM

So my lifetime average is £0.52p($0.68c)/1000 views.
My videos have an advert impression on them around 38% of the time. These videos earn an average of £1.38p($1.80c)/1000 views.

Its just an average dude. Some people are way up on this and some are way down. My average goes up and down throughout the year.

I think the $2 calculation should be considered per 1000 impressions not per 1000 views.

Let me give you my Adsense numbers as example (Across all channels as I do not have seperate figures for 'EVO')
65million views
24.5 million impressions
1.43 million clicks
2.2% Page CTR
5.83% Impression CTR
Average £0.52 page RPM
Average £1.38 impression RPM

So my lifetime average is £0.52p($0.68c)/1000 views.
My videos have an advert impression on them around 38% of the time. These videos earn an average of £1.38p($1.80c)/1000 views.

Hey, thanks for chiming in.

Yes, I get that it`s an average, but many big youtubers claim that`s actually the minimum they get (i.e. Ricegum in this video Youtube. c0m/watch?v=KAMKCDk6S2I - he actually makes 3 USD per 1k views on average - again, 3 USD per 1k views, not 3 USD per 1k AD impressions), so I thought the discerning factor was the traffic country of origin, as the biggest youtubers all have the vast majority of their fanbase in the US.

Based on what I wrote in the OP that doesn`t seem to be the case tho.

EVO has given a way better answer than I could give, but there's some points to emphasise. Depends on your niche because there are some people complaining that their adsense revenue is way down, and some people counter with the fact that they've never seen it so good.

If you think about it, before it was a bit of a free for all in terms of what ads would show up. If the big boys who bid the most money for the big keywords are setting in their adwords that they don't want to be associated with channels that feature swearing, clowns (joke) , violence, or even political or religious opinion, then it leaves channels in those niches feeding on the scraps of the rest of advertisers who bid lower on keywords.

So maybe channels like yours that even do not have a yellow warning on next to each video and not in your eyes contentious in any way, are just in a niche where the big bids and keywords are not coming there.

I've made literally no money from adsense yet, but the pennies that show up in my analytics suggest a CPM total (not to me) for all ads shown of over $6 per 1000! Not that I'm going to see that, but it gives me hope i might actually see the 1 or 2 dollar average that people talk about.

Hope that helps, somehow :)

So, is there any truth in the widespread notion that 2 USD is the average earnings for 1k views or am I correct assuming is it just a myth?

That's never been the figure that I've heard thrown about.

The only benchmark figure I've ever heard is 1 USD for 1k total views. So an RPM of $1. An MCN owner actaully confirmed the actual figure to be ~1.20 USD a couple of years ago IIRC - That was a worldwide average based on annual data. Obviously the actual number was higher in December and lower in January. And the number was higher in the US, UK, Canada, and several other western countries. Like I said, it was a worldwide annual average.

So for channels with lots of US/UK traffic, that figure used to be very conservative. It's probably a lot closer to the truth now.

For some, that number is high...for others, it’s low.

It’s not just where the views come from that matters, but also the individual demographics of the viewers...their age, interests and so on.

Not to mention, ad rates vary greatly based on the topic, what ads are shown could be effected by the length of your videos, and advertisers will often pay more to be shown on a specific channel.

Needless to say, there are far too many variable to have a set number. A typical range from $.50-$2 would be more accurate for most.

Back