Is SSD speed really worth it?

Elpixion

I've Got It
so i have a dell inspiron 15 3565 and it comes with an SSD however in a few weeks i filled it up (only 128GB) the read/write speeds are 541 read and 138 write, is this a good improvement or should i just put my old laptops mechanical drive in it?

so i have a dell inspiron 15 3565 and it comes with an SSD however in a few weeks i filled it up (only 128GB) the read/write speeds are 541 read and 138 write, is this a good improvement or should i just put my old laptops mechanical drive in it?

SSD's are way faster than HDD's, I would recommend sticking with it and maybe just getting an enclosure for your mechanical drive so that you can access its storage from the computer.

SSD's are way faster than HDD's, I would recommend sticking with it and maybe just getting an enclosure for your mechanical drive so that you can access its storage from the computer.
there is no disk drive to swap out it with and my external drive cable is super faulty, should i trust a $3 one from Kogan? like the sites good but would it actually be USB 3.0?

there is no disk drive to swap out it with and my external drive cable is super faulty, should i trust a $3 one from Kogan? like the sites good but would it actually be USB 3.0?

I've never heard of Kogan, but I know that Anker does enclosures and I trust their products (even though they are more expensive).

SSDs are definitely worth the hype. The advantage isn't just the speed but also the stability and reliability. Mechanical drives are usually the first thing to fail in a PC due the moving mechanical parts. I stopped buying mechanical drives a couple of years ago despite them being cheaper. SSDs are getting cheaper all the time. I like the Crucial brand personally.

It is certainly. I have a SSD in my laptop and it easily helps me to edit my traveling videos quickly and conveniently. Plus, I think these days SSD's are quite reasonable for the price. I have a 128GB SSD and it fulfills my purpose fairly.

SSDs are definitely worth the hype. The advantage isn't just the speed but also the stability and reliability. Mechanical drives are usually the first thing to fail in a PC due the moving mechanical parts. I stopped buying mechanical drives a couple of years ago despite them being cheaper. SSDs are getting cheaper all the time. I like the Crucial brand personally.
the one in mine is a toshiba one and i think your right about the reliability, someone bumped into my laptop bag once and killed my hardrive[DOUBLEPOST=1512330227,1512330061][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is certainly. I have a SSD in my laptop and it easily helps me to edit my traveling videos quickly and conveniently. Plus, I think these days SSD's are quite reasonable for the price. I have a 128GB SSD and it fulfills my purpose fairly.
with windows on my ssd and sony vegas pro 15 and photoshop and chrome it fills up quite quickly its 128 but windows makes 20gb not exist
upload_2017-12-4_6-43-27.png[DOUBLEPOST=1512330364][/DOUBLEPOST]
SSD for OS and work, HDDs for storage.
dont have the option unfortunately if the store gave me the model with the DVD drive i would have taken it out and put a caddy in and thrown my old laptops mechanical drive in it

SIDENOTE: is it normal for tech shops to give you stuff that you didn't ask for (like instead of a 7200RPM drive like you ask they put in a 5000RPM for the same price it was annoying or instead of a 1080p screen they chuck in a 768p screen)

Had SSD, traded it for 1TB HDD. Video editing will kill your SSD instantly. It just kills it. So it's not worth it. ;)

Realistically; yes and no. SSD's are significantly faster then HDD's and have a much lower risk of Hardwear failure. However they are rediculously costly and do suffer a much higher risk of Software failure than traditional HDD's so ultimately its horses for courses in my opinion...if you like to be able to just get on and want things doing as soon as possible with money not being an option i'd say stick with SSD's from now on because in a way its future proofing. though make sure you keep plenty of backups because if your editing on them it will cause them to wear out sooner rather than later...if however you arnt fussed by read/write speed and you are on a budget i'd say stick with HDD's for the moment...but again make backups of your work regularly :)

Back