Is giving up on a project ok?

So i have been editing this project for a whole week and i have gotten to the point where i don't feel motivated to finish the project. Im just not feeling it and because of this i feel like im procrastinating more on getting it done and its really taking time away from my schedule. So should i just scrap it and start a new and fresh idea or suck it up ride it out and learn from it, even if it cost some schedule time?

There's nothing wrong with leaving something unfinished. Maybe don't delete it altogether, but leave it there where it is and pick it back up when you feel like wanting to finish it.

Unless you put money into this or you collaborated with a few people you have nothing tying you down dude. Theres the shame factor, but logically if there are other ideas you're more passionate about you should work on creating those. Plus sometimes you may end up coming back to it after seeing other people's ideas similar to your original project an there may be another way of looking at the editing side that leads you to finishing it happily

As far as learning from it I feel like you've already learnt everything you can if you've gotten to the editing phase and aren't feeling it. If you can, try to pin point what about it isn't working for you or whats missing for you. It may even be enough for you to see what adjustments could be made to improve it to the point you're happy, and then have a go re-filming it

Just don't delete it, you can always comeback to it with fresh eyes and see the magic that you can't see now... or really really see why you should have quit all along. :)

Archive but dont delete would be my advice. If your not feeling your project forcing yourself to finish it will just result in a product that isnt very good. and id only suggest finishing if it was for someone else like a client. realistically I have half a dozen projects I've shelved over the years for one reason or another...but I keep them because I sometimes think I'll go back to them and other times I keep them for inspiration and research...plus its always nice to have the memories of a project :)

Archive but dont delete would be my advice. If your not feeling your project forcing yourself to finish it will just result in a product that isnt very good. and id only suggest finishing if it was for someone else like a client. realistically I have half a dozen projects I've shelved over the years for one reason or another...but I keep them because I sometimes think I'll go back to them and other times I keep them for inspiration and research...plus its always nice to have the memories of a project :)

Saying that, it is an important skill to be able to push through when you're not feeling it and still produce something that is good. I know its a creative process and all that, and that you ought to do this from your soul or whatever, but what if one day youtube, or something similar, becomes your lively hood. You might not be able to just abandon the project. IT might be worth pushing on and forcing yourself to finish to help develop greater discipline. You don't need to publish it when its done if you don't like the end product, but at the same time you may surprise yourself and have something that you like.

I would agree with what everyone else has said, keep it and come back to it another time. Maybe if you do that then when u go back to it you can see where you wanted it to head in the first place. If you continue with it you might just end up rushing your way through it for the sake of finishing it.

Back