Is DeviantArt good for 'promoting' an animation channel?

ItsMeJackP

I have a rough plan - take some screenshots from my animations at "cool" moments, make character profile type pictures, and share the cover art, and have a link to either the channel or the respective video in the picture's description. I also thought I could turn a scene into a "comic script", by showing screenshots and text bubbles, followed by "see more here!"

Is this a viable way to get traffic?

Deviantart is a bit of a beast in itself. Yes, it would be a good place to promote an animation channel, but only if you already have a following there. If you don't have a following yet, you will first have to build this by sharing animation and art, submitting it to a lot of groups, react a lot on other peoples art and build an audience on DA itself, before you can try and guide them to your YT channel. At least, that is how I see it. Any social media that is purely build to promote something else, will always feel like that: a advertisement.

I see, I didn't realise DA was so community-centric! I guess there wouldn't be any harm in building a presence on there. I guess it's not like Twitter, where I can throw hashtags into a picture and hope it shows up for people who were browsing that tag...

where I can throw hashtags into a picture and hope it shows up for people who were browsing that tag...
Ah, no, that won't be enough. Not a lot of people actually browse for art, unless they are specifically looking for something (art of a certain character, references, etc). Most people only browse their inbox, which shows art of people you are following and art of the groups you are in. I think groups and interactivity are the key to building a community on DA (decent art helps, but sometimes it feels like it's actually optional).

Ah, no, that won't be enough. Not a lot of people actually browse for art, unless they are specifically looking for something (art of a certain character, references, etc). Most people only browse their inbox, which shows art of people you are following and art of the groups you are in. I think groups and interactivity are the key to building a community on DA (decent art helps, but sometimes it feels like it's actually optional).
Ah okay, thanks for the info :) When it comes to social media I'm a dinosaur...

Would Tumblr be okay for what my plan was?

Would Tumblr be okay for what my plan was?
I really wouldn't know, I don't use Tumblr n.n" I've been on DA for years, so that's why I know quite a bit about it, but when it comes to any other platform (Tumblr, Pinterest, Reddit, etc), I'm just as much a dinosaur as you are n.n"

Back