I'm looking at trying out streaming games but....

Personally i'd recommend getting at least 5Mbps if you are streaming on something like twitch or YouTube. However, if you are streaming on your phone, most apps are optimized so they work with almost any upload speed, although having a solid network connection won't hurt your stream :) Good luck!

Yeah what Sladee said. 5 mbps is the minimum that will give you a overall decent quality stream with little to no loading times (where the stream is loading to catch up). What are you looking to stream? Pc or console type stuff?

From what I understand, 5 Mbps will let you stream pretty smoothly at 1080p, but you could also lower the quality and stream at 720p with a 2 Mbps upload speed. Keep in mind other things can effect your streams quality like adding graphic overlays or a facecam (depending on your encoder).

I'm actually learning all this on the fly as we speak, lol. Will hopefully be starting my first weekly livestream very soon (at least... that's the plan)

Did you have the bitrate set at a certain level? Also did you set a downscale resolution? Doing both of those helps to keep your stream smoother. If you like I can help try to figure out some of your settings to see if we can make the stream overall smoother for you.

Last edited:
Back