I'd like a bit of advice please. (more than a bit sorry)

Benjamin S

Okay, sorry for being vague on the title but I'll explain it in as much detail as I can. I also believe that a decent amount of people are asking some similar questions, But I'm new to the forum so forgive me for not doing all that I should, if i'm messing up.

First - As someone who has, well HAD a YouTube Channel (I messed up badly somehow), I'm having trouble coming up with a specific type of video genre that I want to start (on a new channel of course) and stay with.

Second - Here are my strengths and what I was thinking I could do.
1. I'm great at tumbling and trampoline so I thought maybe a Vlog of some sort. My personality is a bit shy and not good for camera unless I'm really forcing myself. I'm also a perfectionist.

2. I'm also a good cook so maybe tutorials on Cooking? But I'll get a lot of hate because everyone's tastes are different and I'm not the best at coping with that sort of thing. I also have no idea how to film it.

3. I can program in a couple different languages so I thought maybe create a game tutorial series. right? Probably not... How would the game look? Who would create the character's looks? What's the story-line? I can't do everything on my own so that wouldn't work at all. WAY too much work for me to handle.

4. I am very adept in Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Cinema 4D. so maybe create some tutorials on that right? Once again, probably not. I can't film everything by myself, as I have no one to help me, My only friend who's not busy just left for the Navy. I also can't really match my work schedule to my others friends as we have different jobs.

I have other activities and such that I'm good at yet I don't want to name all of them, for this thread will have too much writing.

In short, I have a lot of things inhibiting me from doing this. That's why I need advice. I would like some suggestions for either getting around it, or some other types of videos I may be able to do.

Thanks a bunch,
Benjamin.

hmm, you seem to have a lot of varied interests but some limitations. you need to truly find what you want to do. what are you passionate about the most?

you also can't worry too much about what others might think b/c you can't please everyone; it comes with the territory. if you're still not sure, maybe just try a few videos for each genre you're thinking about and go from there. you can always delete or tweak things since I assume your channel is very new anyways. good luck.

I would stick to one main niche, so people get what your about and they will come back to visit your channel. You seem to have a lot of talents going for you without the confidence, I agree with the above quote, try to definitely not care about what other people think. My channel is about cooking too but every now and then my other interests and personalty come through in my videos. I even review my own cooking at the end of the recipe and sometimes I'm not 100% happy with the outcome lol. So there's no need to try and please everyone, I can't even please myself sometimes! If you are shy, I suggest buy yourself a tripod so you can do all the filming yourself and if you do go towards the cooking niche, I know of many channels that don't even put their own face or voice over in their videos. You could add text and music only :) and that way you still create videos and fill that passion at least, good luck!

I have multiple genres of gaming, art, animals, and vlogs just do what you like I couldn't pick one so I alternate for example I upload once a week or more I usually upload videos in this order animals, gaming, vlog, art :)

Hope this helps :D

Hey Benjamin,

I would like to address point number two. You shouldn't worry about the possible 'hate' you might get from what you do. You do what you love and you stand by your content and as long as it's good to you then that's the most important. There's gonna be hater everywhere but I don't think it will be that bad. You might even gain a loyal fan following :)

I want to elaborate on the previous comment - people generally don't 'hate' on dishes they don't like. At worst, the hate will be aimed at a dish itself, not you personally. :)
Don't worry about being shy - being shy can be so charming in a YouTube video, and don't be surprised if you notice your shyness evaporating after a couple of videos!

Hello Benjamin

First - As someone who has, well HAD.... / same here, same there, many people did this, no problem, life cycles repeating...
Second - I'm great at tumbling and trampoline... / good to hear! put a camera on a tripod and change angles.... also get an actioncam
2. I'm also a good cook... / again nice to hear! you are multitalented.
....But I'll get a lot of hate...
There is a short joke, one, sees a banana in the floor and thinks, "oh! I am gonna slip and fall again!" :p
3. I can program in a couple different languages... / oh! you did it again!... another talent
....How would the game look? Who would create the character's looks? What's the story-line?.... ask for collaborations.
STOP! what do you mean:
I can't do everything on my own so that wouldn't work at all. WAY too much work for me to handle.
it's called "one man band" if my English are right. And lot of people do it.
but you need dedication, passion and of course free time.
4. ....I can't film everything by myself, as I have no one to help me...
Loop back to "STOP! what do you mean:" and also ask for collaborations.

In short, ask yourself this question:
"what do I really need to show to the world through my Youtube channel?"
EDITED let's make it a bit more interesting to you, "how can I
help/motivate/educate/entertain others with my videos?"

....also consider starting a blog and merging it with your growing Youtube videos....
Text is easier, no physical appearance needed and people love to read other people's mind.

Hope it helps
:)

Last edited:
Back