I need your help with this.

DOODLESKULL

I need your help. This is killing me.

First: I know overthinking is a part of this – which is exactly why I'm turning to you. For some reason I can't find a solution to this on my own.

Basically, I am struggling how to format my video titles for my channel. Originally, I came up with this formula that would apply to all my video titles.

Background:
  • I am starting an animation channel. It's a little weird.
  • Okay, a lot.
  • I want to stand out from others on YouTube. Often other animation channels just tell stories/experiences about their personal lives.

Instead:
  • I want to make "seriously hilarious" educational animations that explain things from the perspective The Grim Reaper.
  • I would parody the educational channels, and offer brutally honest explanations with a hint of morbid humor.

Example: "The Grim Reaper Explains Reasons To Move To Canada". And all video titles would be like formatted like this. "The Grim Reaper Explains The Meaning of Emojis". See below.

Why I think it might work:
  • People already know Grim Reaper (or Death).
  • Seeing that kind of title also lets the viewer know what the video is about, better than a generic "Reasons To Move to Canada" type of title.

Problem: Due to the YouTube Adpocalypse, I can't mention "death", "grim reaper", or anything like that in my video titles, descriptions or tags.

So I don't if I should just give up on the idea of formatting all my video titles like this.
What do you think? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have. It really means a lot to me!

Seriously, throw me a bone here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you should give up on your idea it sounds very innovative! :happy2: I think that since you can't mention him in the titles just put the rest of the title and instead include him in the thumbnails of your videos so for example the title would be "Reasons to Move to Canada" and have him in the thumbnail with like a Canadian map/flag, hope this helps!

I agree with Eva. Don't give up on the idea of using the grim reaper. Having him in your thumbnail and not the title is a good idea too!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What an original idea!

These are things that I use to help me come up with titles and such:

I also search Youtube, and Buzzfeed, and check the titles.
These are things that I use to help me come up with titles and such:

Any Title Generator is going to help loads! Search Google

coschedule . com (It is amazing to help analyze headlines)

You can also look for another name for him that maybe people will be familiar with. Not to steal from a cartoon but it is called the Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy - but you know the reaper is there even if they didn't use his name. Try to find something like that.

Thanks Rita-Marie!

I was essentially trying to decide between using one format "Grim Reaper Explains Fidget Spinners", "Grim Reaper Explains…" for all videos, vs changing up the title for each video, for example "The World Is Actually a Fidget Spinner" without mentioning Grim Reaper or Death.

I'm using keywordtool.io for seeing what people are searching for in YouTube, also search on YouTube, use VidIQ for seeing what kind of tags would work, and use Buzzsumo to see what kind of titles generally get the most shares across the internet on a certain topic.

Thanks Ralph! I'll be sure to study Billy and Mandy more thoroughly to get an idea how they are handling this.

I know exactly what you are going through! For my channel, which is about answering questions in a an unconventional way, I first planned to just have users submit a question and I would use that question as that title.

Like for example: "WHY CAN'T PIGS FLY?"

This didn't work, at least in the beginning, because it has basically no SEO, as in, there is nothing seperating from the rest of the YouTube videos related to flying or pigs or "why" questions. So I decided to change it, by incorporating more SEO. I added the topic for the video in the second part of my title, for example: "WHY CAN'T PIGS FLY? - Police", this particular example i just came up with, kind of offensive, I would address this in the video but hopefully you see how I dealt with the situation. Also, do not take thumbnails lightly!

While my titles may be very generic, I use the thumbnails to show even more. I show the question, my channel name, the subject, and a color that relates to that type of video. I would highly consider taking out Grim Reaper from your name because if your channel gets big people will already know that your about the Grim Reaper, and start putting the Grim Reaper in your thumbnails like Eva was saying. Hope something helped, good luck!

Thanks Quick Question for your answer! (that sounded a little weird?)

It's interesting, in your case I almost immediately thought that every video title would start with "Quick Question: …" I think it's like a natural way how people talk: "Quick Question: Have you seen this great channel on YouTube answering questions in an unconventional way?"

One of the benefits of having the Grim Reaper in every video title is exactly that it makes the whole channel more accessible for new viewers. Let's new viewers know very easily what the video is about. It's also very consistent way to brand the channel. But yeah - eventually people will already know that there will be a grim reaper, and the whole thing might become "old". I really don't know.

Oh yes, thumbnails are huge. I included a mockup thumbnail in my original post, would have loved for you to see it, but for some reason the thumbnail is not showing here.

P.S. After seeing your videos, I smashed the subscribe button.

Haha yeah that sounds a bit funky but thank you so much!

Yeah I thought about that option as well, my answer to that is I put "Quick Question" in my thumbnail. Considering you see the thumbnail first, you would read quick question, then read the title, "yadayada?" Not sure if it works but yeah. Now that I think about it I can see your title system working by knowing a good example. CINEMASINS! In every title they say "Everything Wrong With..." so I say do it.

I can't view your channel though, your channel link needs to be something like UCPqpL5e_0KQeOq-wy7IL_FQ, that's just an assumption that you haven't reached the view/sub threshold that youtube has.

Thanks again for subbing, I will sub back, once I can view your channel xD

Back