I need help improving my lighting?

zaralynette

Hey you guys so I just filmed a wig review video on my channel and I need feedback on the lighting. I used two clip lights on stands and a (cheapo) ring light on the camera lens. I was also in front of the largest window in my house. The lighting still seems dark to me and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to further improve it! Thanks in advance <3

The lighting seems slightly over exposed on you but otherwise looks good. If I had to guess you're probably pretty close to a light on the screen right side. If it's the background that seems to dark to you I wouldn't worry about it. You stand out nicely from it and it helps keep the focus on you and keeps the viewer from looking around the room. Great video though!

The lighting seems slightly over exposed on you but otherwise looks good. If I had to guess you're probably pretty close to a light on the screen right side. If it's the background that seems to dark to you I wouldn't worry about it. You stand out nicely from it and it helps keep the focus on you and keeps the viewer from looking around the room. Great video though!

Thanks! I think it is the darkness in the background that's throwing me off.

Not knowing exactly what the lighting looks like or where the iris is on the camera you could do a couple different things. If the room is brighter than it appears on camera you could put less light on you and open the iris up to bring up the background. Or if the background is indeed as dark as it looks then add some light to the background and you'll be good to go.

Not knowing exactly what the lighting looks like or where the iris is on the camera you could do a couple different things. If the room is brighter than it appears on camera you could put less light on you and open the iris up to bring up the background. Or if the background is indeed as dark as it looks then add some light to the background and you'll be good to go.
So what kind of lighting do think can be added to the background with out being distracting?

On the cheap side any kind of room lamp would be good. if you don't mind doing a bit of wiring I made some lights from a DIY video I saw on YouTube from Indy Mogul I think it was. It works great.

Are you talking about tutorial for the Power Video Light DIY? I saw that and it looked interesting. How do you like your light?? Do you use it often?

Are you talking about tutorial for the Power Video Light DIY? I saw that and it looked interesting. How do you like your light?? Do you use it often?
I do like the light and use it for all the videos I shoot on my channel. I made two of them. I'm thinking about adding some reflection in the back to get something me more throw from them but I haven't had the need yet. It's good for the purposes I'm using. I'm pretty sure they would work for bringing up the levels a bit in your background.

Back