I made a big mistake and I learned a valuable lesson

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Yesterday I noticed one of my videos was at 4th place on a really popular search phrase.

Without thinking about it too much I was adding some basic tags to most of our videos and boom, lost the spot and the whole video is no longer anywhere to be seen with the same search phrase.

I reverted everything back to original few hours ago but no cigar.

Next time when I see something rank high I will not touch it.

Regret...

Ive wondered what will happen if i was to change tags on some of my most popular vids. the tags are currently awful and i was wondering if i improved them the video would grown even more. perhaps i should leave it well alone..

I learned this lesson too. A video of mine that was gaining traction and i did that. Funny thing is i was about to do it to my most successful video but stop myself before i saved it :D and thus my vids are still first page.

I've done the same thing. A video of mine was ranked #2 for a popular tag word, and I decided to add new tags for people who might misspell something. The video immediately unranked, and it disappeared from search results for an entire day!!! I was like "oh crap! D:"...but the next day it was put back at #2 for the same keyword + it was ranking with one of the new tags that I added... :eek:

I suspect YouTube does a rerank check each time a tag is added, and I guess it takes about a day to complete its process.... If your video ranks again after a day, please let us know!! I'm super curious! :eek:

Ahh I'm sorry to hear that. =\ That's definitely a bummer. I know I only have a few videos that are on the front page but by luck I'd imagine.
But at least you know for next time. Best of luck to you. =]
And thank you for sharing your experience.

Dang! On a related note, I've heard along the way somewhere (maybe Daryl Eaves?) that we should use TubeBuddy to check our tag rankings regularly, and to use the "auto-sort tags based on ranking" feature to rearrange the existing tags in order of rank, (thereby putting the strongest listings first in the tag order.) Does doing this risk a video being de-listed? Or does that happen just from adding/changing tags?

Thoughts? Anyone else do this?

Back