Huge drop in subscribers since D-day. What is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My channel is one of those that got demonetized on Feb 20th this year (2018) because it doesn't have 1000 subscribers. However prior to D-day I had a good trickle of income and new subs because two of my videos in partticular have become quite popular. I maybe picked up an average of about 10 subs per week, which may not sound a lot but read on...

Since Feb 20th I've only picked up a single subscriber, so something other than demonstization also seems to have happened on Feb 20th. As well as taking creators like me out of the partner program, does this also mean my videos are no longer promoted as much by Youtube? I've also seen a significant drop in watch time, but not enough to make my new subs go to effectively zero!

What is going on?

I have never been monetized so can't comment from pre 20th feb but for me since the past couple of weeks I've had huge growth in subs and views and I am still not monetized so I don't think they are targeting small channels

Yeah I've had a huge drop, I had a big video go out around the 12 but then it normalized at the 18 and then at 20 it just steadily dropped. ((I was monetized before))

Attachments

• whygod.png
    whygod.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 4
You haven't posted any videos in over a month. That's part of it.

I'm pretty sure that's not it though. Most of my subscribers come from one video that is over a year old. I often go long periods of time without posting anything, sometimes many months. Why did the subs suddenly fall off around D-day? It's a definite change to the regular pattern and is very easy to see.subs report.png

For me, everything as been steady with no changes. Granted, I was never monetized before, I know that's just a waste of time with YouTube, but I'm not seeing any significant changes since last month.

I have noticed a drop in views but an increase in subscribers since D-day as you put it. I don't think YouTube is punishing channels that are smaller but anyone who lost demonetization (like myself) is likely going to see a drop in views because YouTube doesn't want to push content from creators that aren't going to make them more money, but the algorithm will push your content to people who are more likely to enjoy it and become subscribers

YouTube are continually adjusting sub counts (and view counts.) - We don't need a thread everytime someone's stats stalls or someone loses a few subs.

Please read the official Youtube help:

Sub counts: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6392782?hl=en
View counts: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2991785

The only advice is to concentrate on making good content and not getting too attached to the short-term fluctuations in numbers. :)

Active members looking for specific advice for their channel based on their existing channel or videos may ask for a review in the review forum. (http://yttalk.com/forums/reviews-channel-feedback.64/ ) The review forum is the only forum where our active members can ask for feedback on their videos and channel (including artwork). We like to keep that sort of thread out of the main forums. :) If the thread complies with the review forum rules (at the top of the review forum), then it will be approved by a member of staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back