How to write a song?

JayWash124

Whoop Whoop
I had an idea for a song, but I have no idea how to write lyrics, any tips? I hear that it helps to get the music first, but I also don't play an instrument :/

If you have the tune in your head... Try getting musescore or another program like it to put it as a music file on your computer... If you don't think you can compose... Then you might just be out of luck, since you need to have some sort of way of either digitally creating, or recording the song. If you want to make a MIDI file with the tune... You can also do that through MuseScore. Hope I helped!

Well, Musescore is a music composing program which is totally free. You write the music as if it was on sheet music (Like read on piano). You can also export the music you write as an audio file, called a MIDI

Go on a site like ccmixter.com and find some instrumental music you like. It might take you a few hours to find something you like so do it in your free time.

Pull lyrics from your past experience, find a topic you're passionate about, ask friends about some of their love lifes.

Start out with a single idea, and know what you want to express in the song. Whether it be how hard you party or how some girl broke your heart, make sure you can be creative about it. Develop the song around this idea.

Good luck and I hope I helped.

Btw, some people find it easier to develop the lyrics first then
and then sync them with the music afterwards.

If you want to become successful, look into learning how to read music, and mayve learning guitar or piano. They will help you in the long run.

Go on a site like ccmixter.com and find some instrumental music you like. It might take you a few hours to find something you like so do it in your free time.

Pull lyrics from your past experience, find a topic you're passionate about, ask friends about some of their love lifes.

Start out with a single idea, and know what you want to express in the song. Whether it be how hard you party or how some girl broke your heart, make sure you can be creative about it. Develop the song around this idea.

Good luck and I hope I helped.

Btw, some people find it easier to develop the lyrics first then
and then sync them with the music afterwards.

If you want to become successful, look into learning how to read music, and mayve learning guitar or piano. They will help you in the long run.
This may just be the fact that I'm weird, but ever since my gf dumped me(yesterday) I've been seeing things that mention heart brake or braking up everywhere, every video I watched on youtube to while trying to take my mind off it somehow found a way to slip in in :/

I had an idea for a song, but I have no idea how to write lyrics, any tips? I hear that it helps to get the music first, but I also don't play an instrument :/

Take a very familiar melody like twinkle twinkle little star, or A-B-C-D-E-F-G..., Same melody did you know that? Use that as a melody for your song, then tweak it once you have verses that rhyme. Pretty soon, you'll create your own melodies.

if I understand ur looking for lyrics?
Here's kinda hierarchy that mostly second grade musicians are using. This doesn't mean its bad though!

1. Pick a topic (whatever, it should be, love, war, every days life... up to u)
2. Define ur direction (if it is love... sad or happy-ending... or if its war... kinda, which side u take... whatever works)
3. GOAL! MAKE UR POINT!!! Good bands actually very often use just one simple phrase for a chorus. (im giving u example I totally dislike, but, proves my point check out Scorpions - Still Loving you... that the whole f*****g song! Its the chorus, the topic.. even the tittle!)
4. MAKING A SONG: Before u write it... Do a simple research... just if u grab a short story that is similar to ur topic, ull find inspiration for ur lines.
5. RE-PRODUCTION! remember this: SONG IS NEVER GOOD ENOUGH! When u finish lyrics, and combine 'em with music, ull find some other idions suitable, but with same meaning. there are also modifications to serve the concept (this is actually most important base of your song).

After u finish one song, Ull realize u can actually do much better!

P.S. I might mentioned love.. however, its TOTALLY not my style. I prefer to make lyrics together with music.
You can check the videos on my channel, soundtracks for videos are made by my band: House of Ghosts, and you might find some lyrics and songs useful (whether u like the style or not).
P.S.S. U can also check the channel of house of ghosts band that is in featured channels on Festinalente channel

Hope it helped!

Back