"How to Vlog"?

Vidcast

YTtalk Mad
I'm planning a video that will explain what I think is vital for good vlogging, like cameras, editing software, quality content etc.

Do you think this is a good idea? I feel like I see too much vlogging, especially from the smaller You Tuber's I'm subscribed to where the content is so long winded, and it drives people away, when actually what they have to say is pretty valid and/or interesting. I also think there's too little information on vlogging, and you rarely see people explain why and how stuff works, so because of that, smaller YouTuber's are often left to guess at how things work, and not everyone can learn visually. Also, as a small You Tuber myself, I've learnt after a lot of trial and error, so I have quite a lot of experience on the topic.

What do you think? I'm pretty low on ideas and content, and I also think that some people could benefit greatly from it.

Thanks - Will

i think you should only vlog if you feel the need to! usually vloggers have deep thoughts or have a lifestyle they are trying to promote.

It depends on what sort of vlogging you're talking about, whether you're talking about "follow me" vlogs that last up to 15 minutes or just a quick 4 minute video of someone talking about something on their mind (which is what I do)

I don't think that a good camera is necessary for people starting, I only spent £50 on my camera and I use my laptop as a microphone. I'm planning on getting a new microphone when I have more money, but for now, what I have serves its purpose. For people just starting out, the best thing to focus on is content, and if the editing is a bit shaky at the start, they will improve with each video

I worded it wrong, not really a 'good' camera, but one that has a reasonable quality, and its more of a how to improve your vlogging than a how to vlog. Some people often want to start making good quality stuff, and so I think it will point them in the right direction.

I think going over the basics of what makes a watchable video blog will definitely be a good idea!

I completely understand where you're coming from - I know some lovely folks who make vlogs that simply aren't engaging because they ramble, they don't edit, they lack charisma, they don't look at the camera - all sorts of things.

I do think this would help people - plus the "how to" segment of your video will draw in a lot of searches if you include it in your keywords.

I think going over the basics of what makes a watchable video blog will definitely be a good idea!

I completely understand where you're coming from - I know some lovely folks who make vlogs that simply aren't engaging because they ramble, they don't edit, they lack charisma, they don't look at the camera - all sorts of things.

I do think this would help people - plus the "how to" segment of your video will draw in a lot of searches if you include it in your keywords.
Thanks! I filmed it today, I was trying to keep it short, but I felt like theres a lot and so the video turned out to be just under 6:30, which isn't too bad. Hopefully this video will help some people out :)

Thanks! I filmed it today, I was trying to keep it short, but I felt like theres a lot and so the video turned out to be just under 6:30, which isn't too bad. Hopefully this video will help some people out :)

Hah, the video I released yesterday is about the same length! I was also attempting to keep it short - whoops!

I went through a phase of watching a ton of videos with names like "How to make a good YouTube video" etc, a lot of those cover the "chatting to a camera" type of vlogging but they seem to be quite popular videos.
I filmed a video with tips for vlogging concerts / travel a couple of months back and one of the things I consider most important is knowing what to cut out and what to leave in. I've watched so many vlogs where people have left in footage of a 5 minute conversation with their friends and it just isn't interesting to watch. If they were to put in the most entertaining 30 seconds and then moved onto something else, I would watch their video for a lot longer but I usually end up clicking away.

I vlog for a reason.
In terms of my own personal life I would only vlog interesting things and make quick vlogs about that - on a day to day basis. If nothing happens, I don't vlog.
However I do have one weekly vlog series and one weekly/fortnightly/quarterly vlog series.
The weekly vlog is based around my Graded Unit Short Film production - as it is a requirement to document the process of making the short film for marking. This vlog may also prove interesting to people. It has a reason for existing. The only reason it is weekly is because that is a course requirement.
I have the other vlog series that is less regular around the independent short film I am making around a Star Wars Fan Film. It is a production vlog to and its purpose is simply to give people a glimpse into how I make short films. It also proves to start getting the word around about the fan film early.

Mainly, vlogs for me either have to be about my thoughts or about something interesting I do or they have to have a reason (like the production vlogs.)
I can't stand people that daily vlog boring stuff. "Oh look, I found my fav fork" or "my cat is grumpy today".
Get what I mean anyone?

I know exactly what you mean. I think that's why I do it so little nowadays. I love vlogging, but I need a worthy topic, and I think this is a great topic, because it keeps me in practice and helps out other people too

Reactions: iGM
Back