How to Make a Wireless Mic on a Budget

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey guys!

I have a lot of ideas that require a wireless mic / filming out in public. I am on a tight budget and while I am saving up for some new gear I wanted to figure out another solution.

I decided the best way to get around a wireless mic was to Macgyver it myself. I went to Best Buy and grabbed a pair of earbuds with an in-line mic...not the crappiest ones, but not the most expensive ones either. Total cost was $14.99.

Before I bought them, I opened the package carefully and tested them on my iPhone. I specifically tested out the voice memos on an iPhone. I put the mic near my collar of my shirt where I would most likely attach it for a video and said a bunch of stuff while walking up and down the aisle. Played it back and voila! it was crispy and clean....especially for $14.99.

I tried it out in my first prank/public video below (Tom Brady prank). The sound is pretty good, although I didn't attach it right to my shirt (was in a rush and literally tucked the earbuds in my shirt, left the mic exposed and attached it using a black paper clip that blended into my shirt LOL) so there is a bit of fuzziness occasionally from me running around like a maniac. Also there was a few times I forgot to hit record on my iPhone and had to use the secondary camera as a backup.

Fun fact: the entire video below was shot on my wife's iPhone 6S Plus and the audio was recorded from my iPhone 6S Plus using voice memos. I simply synced them up afterwards (tedious but no biggie and it worked)!