How to get rid of reflections when recording?

TN7

Liking YTtalk
Hey everyone,

Is there a way to get rid of reflections of my camera and I when recording straight on a phone? It bothers me since this distracts the main focus I want to talk about. I tried turning down the exposure level, but that makes the entire scene dull.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean. Can you share a screenshot of your scene?

It's something like this. Turning up the brightness somewhat helps, but then I would have to turn down the exposure on my camera to adjust to the screen.

Attachments

• 20170503_172351.jpg
    20170503_172351.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 10
Aah ok.
Here's some ideas:
  • The most obvious solution would be to move the camera slightly to the side, which will avoid reflections altogether.
  • If you make the rest of the room darker, there should be less light to reflect off the phone's surface.
  • Putting a screen protector on the phone will also reduce the shine.
  • If you want to shoot straight-on like in the image, take a look for a polarising filter. There's some great videos on youtube that demonstrate them, usually on DSLRs (search 'polarizing filter reflections'). There's alternatives out there that clip on phones for about £15 / $20, or if not just get a DSLR filter and stick it in front of the phone.
I had a quick look at similar stuff, like Unbox Therapy's channel when he looks at phones and he does have similar shots but the reflections aren't very strong. He could be using a polarising filter. Maybe drop the question to him or someone similar in their comments?

I recommend getting the polarizing filter. I recently got one and it's cool to be able to reduce reflections when shooting through a bus or a train window. I was amazed on the difference it makes. Now if only companies cleaned their windows... :D

Reactions: TN7
Back