How to Cut Rendering Time

Freezedown

I Love YTtalk
Now I just recently found this and it has, no joke, cut my rendering time in half. I was rendering a video and I was watching the little preview box in Sony Vegas when I noticed it had restarted the episode during the rendering. I thought that was weird so I took a trip to google and wouldn't you know I had something called 2-Pass Rendering set to on. Now I read that this can be useful for certain File Types and certain types of videos like live action with a lot of movement but I decided to test it. I went to render one of my Super Mario Maker episodes which are 10-13 mins a piece and have a fair bit of movement in them and it cut my render time down from any where from one and a half to three hours down to under an hour. I have done this three times now and with every video i have gone back and watched the entire video to make sure there was no problems and I haven't seen anything. Now I haven't tested this with live action or 3D games yet but for at least Super Mario Maker is works wonderfully, if nothing else worth a shot.

To get to this setting at least in Sony Vegas 11 (what i use) you go to set something to render and when selecting which render setting you want click customize on one and look toward the bottom and there should be something called 2-Pass, if its checked uncheck it and see how it works for your video. I don't know if this works for everything or if there's a down side but it works for me and I haven't seen or had any problems so far.

This makes perfect sense. As far as I am aware the first pass scans the video for possible options for changing bitrates. The second pass actually performs the render. By reducing to a single pass, it renders on its first try essentially taking a good guess at bitrates. Most of the time it does a great job which is why you notice no quality difference but are experiencing reduced render times.

James.

You should render a video with it on and one with it off. Then compare the two. The video with double pass rendering on will look better.

Sure, it makes the render faster. So would recording in 480p, 20 frames per second. Everything is a tradeoff.

You should render a video with it on and one with it off. Then compare the two. The video with double pass rendering on will look better.

Sure, it makes the render faster. So would recording in 480p, 20 frames per second. Everything is a tradeoff.
I actually have done this and I can not see a difference at least for gaming videos and i've tried it with two different games now. I'm recording at 30 FPS and 1080P and its still under a hour with no noticeable difference. Like I said i'm sure it makes a difference with live action stuff. This is just a tip to try, I said all of this in the post just to try it and see if there's a noticeable difference it may at least help.

I'm with Tarmack. That's like, yes, you can use OBS to record your audio. Or you can use a program like Audacity, improve quality, but take more time. I use double pass, its higher quality and takes longer as such. I used to do 10 videos a week, sometimes more, and never had this issue. I've since gone down to 3 (recently 5, working on 6) a week and still use it. I don't want quantity over quality and you shouldn't either.

That's like people using Handbrake because the upload takes too long. Well, handbrake can't magically make your file smaller without losing quality. Vegas cannot magically reduce render time without some kind of loss of quality either.

I'm with Tarmack. That's like, yes, you can use OBS to record your audio. Or you can use a program like Audacity, improve quality, but take more time. I use double pass, its higher quality and takes longer as such. I used to do 10 videos a week, sometimes more, and never had this issue. I've since gone down to 3 (recently 5, working on 6) a week and still use it. I don't want quantity over quality and you shouldn't either.

That's like people using Handbrake because the upload takes too long. Well, handbrake can't magically make your file smaller without losing quality. Vegas cannot magically reduce render time without some kind of loss of quality either.
You guys seem to be missing the point entirely. I've said twice now, for my videos there is no quality drop, i've compared two different games, with both render settings and they are the same, you can not see a difference. I also said this is just something to try, to see if there's a noticeable difference in quality, if not, then you get faster renders, if so don't use it. I'm not saying you shouldn't use double pass I actually said to probably use it for live-action stuff and that I haven't tested it for full 3D games.

It may also be worth the slight quality drop if render times are insanely high. For not so great computers.

This is just a tip to try. I never said one was better than the other.

Back