How to avoid issues with copyright when dealing with dance recitals?

CanuckKidsTV

My daughter is often in dance recitals and I'd like to be able to post them as part of our channel. I don't care about monetisation necessarily but the one time I posted my son at a school thing YouTube muted it all, which was useless because it was a bunch of 4yr olds singing.

My daughter is often in dance recitals and I'd like to be able to post them as part of our channel. I don't care about monetisation necessarily but the one time I posted my son at a school thing YouTube muted it all, which was useless because it was a bunch of 4yr olds singing.

It would depend on what the owner of the music wants to do, but that's about what should be expected. Other times you may find that the video is monetized (with them receiving any earned income), unavailable in certain countries, won't play in select formats (mobile, for example), or any of the above.

The only way around this would be to actually purchase the proper song rights needed yourself.

Purchase song rights? are in you right mind ? Do you even know how much it would cost to buy songs rights for video from lets say Lady Gaga? :D Google it please.

To CanuckKidsTV:

On Youtube, go to music library.
There will be two libraries.
1. no copyright songs that you never heard before, which you can use to monetise your video.
2. Popular songs that you hear on radio. Click on song name, then will give you information on what will happen if you use that song in your video and what countries it might be blocked. Most popular outcome is that song owner will monetise your video. However this can change at any second, so if today he is monetising your video tomorrow he can issue a strike for your account.
If a song is not listed in there, then you will probably get strike straight away or you might get away with it for some time. But again it will come sooner or later if you are using music that does not belong to you and do not have permission to use it.

Yeah, it seems like there's no real option here. The first song they danced to was Cake by the Ocean and the second was some Lady Gaga song I've never heard before.

My only real option seems to be to remove all sound and use non copyright music which might be weird due to choreography...

Oh well.

Thx

Purchase song rights? are in you right mind ? Do you even know how much it would cost to buy songs rights for video from lets say Lady Gaga? :D Google it please.

I never said that it would be affordable or even make sense as an option, only that, if they didn't want to worry about strikes or muting, purchasing the rights is the only alternative...which, unfortunately, it is.

Back