How many tags do you use

The poster above posted "500 words", other posted "500 characters". My bad. Just keep your tag section honest. The shorter the better as there is less disagreement with you and youtube.

You should put in as many relevant tags as you can, especially long-tail tags. It's the only way the YT search engine can index your video.
I've also seen videos with no tag words achieve amazing results, sometimes with over one million views. No idea how that happens, but I'm not going to take a chance with my videos!

It depends sometimes it's a big chunk like 250 characters and other times its 75-100 it depends how many relevant tags I can find for that video

THIS is why you should not rely on anything anyone tells you on a forum without a source to back it up.

My apology. It's not the blogger's fault. He was just retelling his experience. I misread the previous poster's comment thinking she want to place 500 words into the tag section. I didn't realize it was 500 characters, not 500 words. Another fault of mine is not knowing the 500 char limit youtube placed on the tag section.

Now I recalled the blogger was legit and had many sources, images, and email posted. The blogger probably overdid it with tag section over the years. Knowing how some people upload so many video in a week. I can see how this add up over the years.

I did go back and clean my tag section afterwards. Some of the keywords, on second visitation, do look like spam now. I do admit I can not see a bot being able to judge the tag section. But after reading so many comments on the youtube's help forum of people basically crying after losing their channels with ten of thousands of subs in a night without even a warning from Youtube, I have become a scaredy cat.

Back