How long does it take you to edit a video?

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Hi Tubers! Happy to say I started videos on my free time with a new job schedule and I would appreciate tips/advice on your editing routine. Is there shortcuts I could follow?

I find that saving video links on notes is easy to copy and paste in descriptions along with default information for new uploads. Anything else? :) Thanks

For our milkshake videos, it takes about 2 hours plus rendering per video, sometimes less. For the story time videos, they can take 4 or 5 depending on how complicated we make the sound design. Once in YouTube, takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to have ready.

Tips: Get good sound so you don't have to fix it in post. As for YouTube related tips, we seem to do something similar. I have my base descriptions with links in a notepad. I've heard people use tubebuddy to do batch updates to videos but I'm new to all this and haven't tried that yet.

Like your channel by the way, the camera you're using also puts out great footage.

Last edited:
Im working on a twelve-minute video right now. My videos are heavy on animation. Right now I have put in I would estimate around 6 hours of editing. I assume I have maybe 4 left. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to speed up without sacrificing too much quality. I have already made LOTS of sacrifices in my current video.

For our milkshake videos, it takes about 2 hours plus rendering per video, sometimes less. For the story time videos, they can take 4 or 5 depending on how complicated we make the sound design. Once in YouTube, takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to have ready.

Tips: Get good sound so you don't have to fix it in post. As for YouTube related tips, we seem to do something similar. I have my base descriptions with links in a notepad. I've heard people use tubebuddy to do batch updates to videos but I'm new to all this and haven't tried that yet.

Like your channel by the way, the camera you're using also puts out great footage.

Thanks! Sounds about right to my schedule and I'm wondering if these marketing companies like tubebuddy are worth the hype and expense?

Good luck on your new channel :) Just saw episode one and your little ones are adorable!![DOUBLEPOST=1497569524,1497569448][/DOUBLEPOST]
Im working on a twelve-minute video right now. My videos are heavy on animation. Right now I have put in I would estimate around 6 hours of editing. I assume I have maybe 4 left. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to speed up without sacrificing too much quality. I have already made LOTS of sacrifices in my current video.

Wow TouTube can definitely become a full time career.. Sounds like you're a pro!

Thanks! Sounds about right to my schedule and I'm wondering if these marketing companies like tubebuddy are worth the hype and expense?

Good luck on your new channel :) Just saw episode one and your little ones are adorable!![DOUBLEPOST=1497569524,1497569448][/DOUBLEPOST]

Wow TouTube can definitely become a full time career.. Sounds like you're a pro!

God I hope I can make it pro. I'm putting the time in now, hoping it grows in to something for me. Maybe one day I can pay someone else to edit so I can focus more on pumping out content, but it would be very pricey

I've wondered this myself. I use Windows Movie Maker, Audacity, and a $25 microphone, so editing the audio and videos honestly probably takes about 80% of my time. The majority of the remaining time is just recording footage, because writing the humor actually comes naturally to me, but the amount of my time that the editing eats up makes me just want to quit.

I spend way too much time sifting through the audio of myself talking, salvaging what I can since it seems like every drop of saliva in my mouth is magnified. I don't know if a pop filter (an actual one, not something you just slip directly over the microphone) would reduce it, or if superior paid for audio editing program could fix this and save time having to delete every obnoxious pop. But the most time is still going through various clips, assembling sufficient footage and splicing it together, as well as recording some background music to play over the footage. I feel like I spend way too much time fixing the crap that comes up with WMM just screwing up. But I don't know what would be better, since the only other thing I tried was Lightworks, and that seemed like a convoluted mess to me.

It's a little off-topic, but would anyone have any recommendations? It's not that I hate editing, I just hate how much of my free time it takes up.

If you're struggling with standard mics, you can try a cheap lavalier microphone. Attach it to your upper chest and it should give got a nice, clean audio profile. You can get some good ones on Amazon for $25. I recommend the audio technica brand.

One of our 15-18 minute videos take between 15 and 30 hours to edit. About the only thing we can do to make it faster is to shoot less footage.. We've been more careful lately so instead of 1000 clips or so to go through we only have 600 or 700.. Still takes a LOT of time.

Is that what you use? I'm thinking I actually wouldn't be picky as long as it sounds better than the one in my laptop and it doesn't magnify the sounds of every click and pop.

We do with the kids but it's problematic. We tape the mics to the edge of the table and they're always rubbing them or covering so I need to work on placement. Any other mic and I get too much echo. But for all the corporate and narrative filmmaking I've done over the last 10 years, the lav mic is my go to mic. I highly recommend it!

I'd probably say I spend about 2 hours editing my "I've Got A Bone To Pick" videos, which are generally about 4-5 minutes long. This includes time spent finding relevant images, videos and sound effects. Takes about 5 minutes to render these videos. For my podcast vids which are about 30 minutes long, it takes me about 4-5 hours but this is mainly because I have to listen to like 40 minutes of footage over and over and decide what to cut out and what to leave in. All I can say is that the more you edit the quicker you become. I have a collaborative sketch channel with my brother and my friend and when we started, I'd sometimes spend like 10 hours editing some of those videos but after doing it for two years I'm now editing full comedy sketches in a couple of hours :)

Back