How I went from knowing nothing about graphic design to making awesome custom thumbnails!

Justin Fowler

I've Got It
Ok, a little backstory. When I started out on YouTube, things were different. The only way you could monetize you had to be a partner. But, a partner was a little harder to become back then (I think), so I was very excited when I became one. One of the big perks was custom thumbnails. Knowing nothing about graphic design, I would just find an image on Google images and use that.

Eventually, I decided to learn how to make my own thumbnails. That's when I discovered an app for Mac called Pixelmator. Now, it doesn't matter which app you use, but I recommend one a little simpler (and cheaper) than Photoshop or Illustrator. Pixelmator cost me $30, and is great for making simple thumbnails.

Once you get your app, learn about the different tools. Eventually, I learned what each of the different buttons did, and you can find plenty of tutorials online. While my thumbnails are basic, they get the point across. Being able to make your own custom thumbnails is empowering in a way, and I think that it is a good skill to learn.

I can make good thumbnails without any program that costs money, but then again I am on PC not mac.

yeah i use flash 8 to make my thumbnails since i used to animate with it but its capable of many other things than just thumbnails

Back