How does Youtube decide how to deal with Copyrighted content

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
This is a question for a friend of mine who makes Dance Choreography Tutorial videos. He makes 2 uploads at a time, a video without the song, just teaching the steps that he can monetize. And then another video with the full dance routine with a copy righted song.

From what I've gathered so far, it seems Youtube does one of the 3 following when it detects a video with copyrighted contents.
1. Partially Block it from some countries, or block it from mobile
2. Completely Block it
3. Make money off them

I read somewhere the creator chooses beforehand what to do with videos automatically if they're found with their content.

Now my friend says he's found some videos containing copyrighted music that he can view just fine (so they weren't blocked). But when he uploads something using the same song using his test account, his gets blocked. Does anyone have an idea what's going on?

I've warned him that the nature of his channel is gonna have a lot of trouble with copyrights, but he's determined to make it work as similar channels somehow get away with it.

You have it correct. If a YouTube Partner has access to the Content Management System, they have the right to set what is known as a policy for each individual piece of copyrighted content for which they have submitted a fingerprint (a content sample) to the CID system.These policies can be made country-specific; so that one country may be view-blocked and another might not.

Your friend will be much better off following Copyright Law rather than trying to buck the system and possibly getting his channel killed.

It is entirely up to the copyright owner. YouTube provides the tools and that's it. They don't get involved unless a DMCA takedown notification is issued and their copyright team has to respond.

One reason a video might be playable but a new upload of it is blocked is because copyright owners change their policies and constantly add songs to the database, and the scanner is getting better at detection as well. When my channel was taken down for a few days because I got 3 copyright strikes, then came back up, all my videos must have been rescanned because many of them got claims when they didn't have any before. Any new upload will be scanned by the most up-to-date database immediately, but videos that were uploaded in the past with a database that didn't find a match for them don't seem to be scanned nearly as often. I believe they are still scanned at regular intervals, though.

Back