How Do You Plan?

Is there anyone here who goes into a recording with a script, but ends up scrapping it and doing something totally different?
I usually tweak parts of my script while I'm shooting (I discover something's a tongue-twister, or find a better way to say a line).

But I have too many awkward pauses and "ummm"s if I go without a script, so if I have to scrap the idea, I'll write a new script.

whenever I do an episode with a lot of friends, we try to follow a script and basic outline of the points we want to cover, but I always leave it open cause they always come up with their own ideas and their own added jokes. when it's just my bro and me, we follow a tighter script.

Basically I do this-
play the game to refresh my memory even if I played it tons of time before
record game footage/take notes of any unusual things worth mentioning
outline the basic script of the game's information including behind-the-scenes info or stuff about how good/bad it was at the time it came out
decide who says what, someone explains the story, someone explains the characters, if it's a sequel someone explains what's new, etc etc
everyone gives their thoughts and opinions of the game
edit it all together with game footage and music, decide what scenes works better as facetime and what works better as voiceovers

and finally leaving extra room in case someone comes up with some new scene/joke/skit for the episode worth keeping

Back