Hey everyone, looking to buy a good camera to break into the youtube scene with!

Derek M

ginga ninja
Alright everyone. I am an amateur youtube content creator. I'd like a video camera that can record in 1080p quality. Zoom is not very important to me. I would like the camera to have a pretty good mic (although I'd prefer the option to add an eternal mic). Of course, the longer the battery lasts the better. The only other thing i'd really like is the abilty to use it as a webcam. I'm looking to spend under $300 but if my perfect camera is just above that price, i might consider it. Im looking to do short action/comedy films, interviews, sports, and vlogs. Thanks so much for your help!

But a GoPro, they are shock resistant, can be dropped from planes etc
100% water proof and many other features. There are many harnesses like bike and chest ones to mount the camera on as well

You can find out more here: http://gopro.com/products/

Hope it helps!

I've heard of the goPro, and I have considered buying it. I'm not sure it's really what I want though. I really don't need anything so "indestructible". I'd prefer to spend 300 bucks on a camera that suites my needs and I can use all the features over 300 bucks on a camera where I can only use some of the services it brings me.

Funny you should say that. I was looking at them. Basically I think i've narrowed it down to these four:

Vixia HF R300
Vixia HF M301
Handycam HDR CX190
Panasonic HC-V100

I used this site to compare the handycam to the HF R300 (I couldn't find the other two cameras) and features wise, the handycam won, but the R300 has onboard memory and an external mic jack (which I REALLY like). I'm like 55% sure that I want the HF R300 but that 45% of me wants those extra features (night scenes, face detection, auto-track, instant focus and TOUCHSCREEN). Ok ok, maybe touch screen isn't the biggest thing, but I really like it. Plus I think with the hdmi you can use it for a webcam, and the canon can't do that :/ I'm really stuck guys, help me out

OK, I know that tis is out of your price range, but I you happen to find a couple hundred bucks in the gutter, check out the Sony A77. It's a DSLR, and it's video quality is up in the ranks of the Canon biggies, at a fraction of the price![DOUBLEPOST=1346574879,1346574152][/DOUBLEPOST]After looking at the comparisons, I can see your hesitation... The Handycam does have some nice features, but often features like that are post production anyway, so you may as well just do them on the computer. The Canon lacks all those extras, but a few things stick out:
  1. Wider aperture & focal range
  2. Better Optical Zoom.
  3. 64 gigs onboard, plus SD slot - Very nice indeed.
  4. MICROPHONE OUTPUT! - Good audio is a must for good videos, and unless you would record on a separate device, this is vital.
So I say go for the HF R300, it's pros definitely make up for things like night vision etc.

Ok, well was just a suggestion :) Ye it lacks a few features like a good zoom etc. Let me know what you buy in the end!

OK, I know that tis is out of your price range, but I you happen to find a couple hundred bucks in the gutter, check out the Sony A77. It's a DSLR, and it's video quality is up in the ranks of the Canon biggies, at a fraction of the price![DOUBLEPOST=1346574879,1346574152][/DOUBLEPOST]After looking at the comparisons, I can see your hesitation... The Handycam does have some nice features, but often features like that are post production anyway, so you may as well just do them on the computer. The Canon lacks all those extras, but a few things stick out:
  1. Wider aperture & focal range
  2. Better Optical Zoom.
  3. 64 gigs onboard, plus SD slot - Very nice indeed.
  4. MICROPHONE OUTPUT! - Good audio is a must for good videos, and unless you would record on a separate device, this is vital.
So I say go for the HF R300, it's pros definitely make up for things like night vision etc.

I'm pretty much sold on the R300. I found out it DOES have hdmi which for me, is a big plus. The site I linked in my previous post was not a very good one. Many specs of the R300 were incorrect. It has a few features the site said it didn't, but the largest thing is that the camera doesn't have on-board memory (from what I can tell). Which doesn't make a huge difference, since i'm going to by a 64gb sd anyway, but it was still a bit of a letdown. I'm going to best buy in a few days to look at it. Thank!

Back