Help me I got a mac ): need editing software.

Shaw

So, usually to edit my videos i use adobe premiere elements but now my laptop decided it needed some time out, I've upgraded/downgraded to a macbook pro.
I thought this was going to be awesome, but turns out its OS X 10.5.8, doesn't have imovie installed and apparently macs are a horror to find free editing software for.
Sure, I can run football manager 2012 better now, but IM SO STUCK FOR EDITING SOFTWARE.

Someone, find it in your kind heart to give me a hand here because I'm freaking my s**t.

"turns out its OS X 10.5.8, doesn't have imovie installed"
Sorry, definitely does not have it installed. I've been over this thing with a fine toothed comb and I can safely say there's nothing of the sort ):

I'm really surprised Imovie isn't included, I thought that was pretty standard. If you go to apple's site do they charge money to download Imovie? It seems like you should be able to get a copy of it somehow if you just bought a new computer. That's what I mainly use so am not too familiar with too many others.

It's not Apple's fault, this mac is from 2008 i think and I got it from someone who didn't need it anymore so I'm assuming they moved/deleted it, I just want to find out if there is a free program i can use to edit using the mac :)

iMovie comes with iLife. It will not always be installed before you buy a Mac. It is something you ask for when you buy it.

You can go to an Apple Store and they might put it on there for you for free. You may have to sweet talk the employee to do so, but my cousin (who uses mac) has done this a few times with different free mac programs and it has worked. Also, if you know someone in film school, most colleges will offer free copies of any software needed, so as long as the person you know hasn't already obtained a copy of imovie, you could get theirs from them. Or you could search the net and find a free download of it on a bit torrent or something.
Ultimately, I used to use a mac. I would recommend shelling out a few hundred bucks and get "final cut" instead of imovie. It has more options and better editing capabilities and gives you more control over what you want to do with your videos.
I know that was very scatter brained, but I wanted to offer as much advice as I could. Hope it helped a little.:)

You can go to an Apple Store and they might put it on there for you for free. You may have to sweet talk the employee to do so, but my cousin (who uses mac) has done this a few times with different free mac programs and it has worked. Also, if you know someone in film school, most colleges will offer free copies of any software needed, so as long as the person you know hasn't already obtained a copy of imovie, you could get theirs from them. Or you could search the net and find a free download of it on a bit torrent or something.
Ultimately, I used to use a mac. I would recommend shelling out a few hundred bucks and get "final cut" instead of imovie. It has more options and better editing capabilities and gives you more control over what you want to do with your videos.
I know that was very scatter brained, but I wanted to offer as much advice as I could. Hope it helped a little.:)

thanks man, that's helpful. I'm certainly not endowed financially so paying for final cut pro would destroy me :p But I'm veering towards mischievously finding a free copy of imovie, final cut pro wouldn't run well if at all on this OS and imovie will have to do really. Don't worry about the whole scatter brain thing, I end up doing that all the time :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you used Adobe Premiere before, wouldn't going to iMovie be a step down in functionality?

I've never used Adobe Premiere Elements before (only Premiere Pro), but I assume Elements is still a relatively "professional" editing software.

Okay I'll clarify everything again.
I used to use - a windows laptop and adobe premiere elements
now i have to use - macbook pro os x 10.5.8, its secondhand and has no imovie on it, so i need video editing software thats free to use and compatible.

Back