Handbrake encoding help?

Sean McLoughlin

Hey all,

I record gameplay footage with a capture card instead of using software and it's a HUGE help for gaming videos overall. Only problem is in longer sessions the audio and video go out of sync and on long sessions the little desync adds up to a lot.

So I have started using Handbrake to encode the video first and set it to "constant framerate" and then I try to set all other settings to the same as the original video.

I am not sure if I'm doing everything right though. I record at 1080p but render down to 720p so should I resize the video during encoding or leave it at 1080p and render down to 720p in Vegas?

Also should I encode to MP4 or MKV?

Out of curiosity, what capture card? Also, why don't you use software?

An Avermedia Live Gamer HD capture card.

I used to sue FRAPS but I hated how it lagged my computer and had almost no customisation options for codecs etc. I used Dxtory and the videos never loaded properly into Vegas, so I went for a separate card to do all the work. I now have great customisation, decent enough quality and the fle sizes are like 1/10th what fraps gave me.

Fair. If you search "Audio De-Sync Problem Explained" then you'll come across a post on the Avermedia forums where people talk about the same issue I think you're referring to. Also, I prefer to export mp4 files.

Fair. If you search "Audio De-Sync Problem Explained" then you'll come across a post on the Avermedia forums where people talk about the same issue I think you're referring to. Also, I prefer to export mp4 files.

Yep those were the guys who helped me otu and told me to use Handbrake :)

Back