Guide to Rendering Videos (and Recording Minecraft!)

Gunnishone

I've Got It
Hello Guys,​
So as Minecraft is one of the most upload games to YouTube I thought some of you might be wondering what's the best way to record/Render Minecraft videos. I'm sure a lot of you have your own ways of doing this but I thought I'd share mine. The rendering techniques stated will also work very nicely for any videos recorded with a Screen Recorder, Camera or PVR.
Recording:
'Dxtory or Fraps?' is a question a lot of people tend to ask. In my opinion (Which is backed up by many factors and comparison videos), Dxtory is better. You can play with more FPS while recording than you could while recording with Fraps. It also allows you to change many more settings that fraps doesn't allow you to change.​
So Dxtory. You can purchase it from the official website here: dxtory(dot)com. It doesn't cost too much for what it can do. I'm sure you could also find ways to get it for free which I don't recommend.​
For dxtory recording settings I followed the following tutorial: youtube(dot)com/watch?v=jw6YAoai8fQ&feature=youtu.be. It worked like a charm. Although I didn't think Dxtory was recording for me at first and the playback used to freeze after 5 seconds I realised that it was just Windows Media Player that couldn't play it back properly.​
Editing (Compressing File Size):
* Please note that the rendering methods that I use are what I find works for me and therefore you may have ways that work for you just fine so you will have no reason to follow my steps.
For editing I use Sony Vegas 12, I'm sure these instructions may correspond to other editing programs as well. Once you've imported your video into Sony Vegas and you're ready to render go to the top of the program and click 'File' > 'Render As'. Once you're on the 'Render As' page you can change where the file is going to be saved. Now here's what I do; Still in the 'Render As' popup box I scroll down to 'Windows Media Video 11 (*.wmv). It's second from the bottom. I then click the arrow to the left of it; here's where you choose your quality.​
Personally I find '6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video' good enough. YouTube classifies 720p as HD so I don't really feel the need to bump it up to 1080p. So click '6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video' and click the 'Customize Template...' button below. From here I like to go to the video tab and put the 'Video Smoothness' to 100. You can also go to the 'Project' tab and change the Video rendering quality, normally I keep that on 'Best'. Then click OK and you're video will start rendering and saving in your desired location. The other day I managed to get a 14 minute video which was 92GB, down to about 600MB. If you have good upload speeds you might not feel the need to render the video like this but as I have 0.7 upload speeds I don't really have a choice.​
Hopefully this guide has helped some of you out. I would have included photos to make the guide more clear but it doesn't allow me to enter IMG links.​
Thanks for reading :)

Very good guide.

Also, for those pressed on getting a FREE GOOD screen recorded, don't do it. Just spring for the paid ones. They're TONS better than the free ones, and will do the job right.

As for Minecraft goes, the mod Camera Studio does a great job! Especially for timelapse type vidoes ;)

I heard it's very demanding on older/weaker computers though. :eek:

I wouldn't know :p But there's also an option in the mod to record into raw file types (no compression), which would have less effect on FPS ;) Of course this requires a very high amount of free harddrive space ;)

Back